51. Neutron Star Collision

"It's Versace," Jolyne said, seated while wearing a hotel robe. Trish stared her down with her arms crossed. "And it's perfect. It's as if it was made for me."

"Shit, girl. You need to stop sulking," Ermes said to Trish while applying compact powder to Jolyne's face. "It's her wedding."

"You're marrying a filthy rich man in a second-hand dress!" Trish said with a high-pitched growl.

"No, I'm marrying a man I love in a dress I love. Where it came from isn't important."

Jolyne didn't have much patience left for Trish precisely because Giorno had made her spend the whole day at Trish's whims. Since they were rushed to pick out the ring in a local jewelry store, which didn't have a large stock, Giorno had stopped by beforehand and shortlisted a few options. While Mista waited for the girls, Giorno was already on his way to get ready for the ceremony, informing her that she could even choose a ring that went over the budget of 1,500 euros he had allocated. However, the simpler designs that Jolyne favored were not on the shortlist and were much cheaper. The poor jeweler had had a very hard time watching the fight that ensued between the don's future wife and one of his consigliere, who was ordered to make sure she didn't make a bad choice.

She knew that Giorno had grown up in poverty, which was where his tendency for extravagance must have come from, but sometimes, she felt like jolting him to bring him back down to earth.

The girls were doing the final preparations in a hotel room. Trish was already dressed up, wearing a long pink Versace halter dress, with an opening in the skirt. Having insisted on helping Jolyne do her makeup, Ermes had set aside her own outfit, a bright copper-colored suit, to wear later. Shizuka had not stopped pouting since she put on the classic flower girl dress they hurriedly bought for her at the boutique, claiming it was too childish for her age. F.F. seemed to have wandered off somewhere with Emporio at some point, finding the preparations tedious.

Jolyne felt a small twinge of regret that her mom wasn't there with her, but it was too late for regrets. Rushed as it was, the wedding would be a kind of insurance, so to speak. Unlike Donatello, the priest, being Catholic, would at least understand that the marriage was a sacred union. Or so she hoped.

"Give me a break," Jolyne said. "When I said I was getting married on the spur of the moment, I was expecting something more Vegas and less couture."

"That's what happens when you marry a posh European," Ermes replied, putting down the dirty brush and grabbing a new one. "Or any European, I guess."

"Isn't getting married in Las Vegas something you only do when you're drunk?" Trish sighed and uncrossed her arms, dropping them to her sides. "When we do this again, I'm not going to give in so easily. But I will admit, posh as he is, Giorno probably won't notice the dress when he sees you dolled up as a bride for him."

---

The mayor of the city was at the door of the church. Hearing that it was the Don of Passione who was requesting the papers, he had happily come to deliver them himself. Few people could refuse having the don owe them a favor. The same was true of that church's priest, who had made a special opening at the don's first call.

The church was so close that taking a car would have been ridiculous. Locals and tourists watched the bride's retinue as they walked by, although in a city like Verona, there was no lack of weddings. Not for nothing was it a city known for a famous love story.

It was almost noon and it was quite hot outside, but luckily in the 16th-century church, despite the stained glass windows, it was quite cool. Giorno waited patiently inside. He wore a black Armani suit, much more classic than his usual style, with only the shirt being the same pink that Jolyne had dyed her bangs.