36. Midas

Candia, Heraklion, 1648

From 1648 to 1669, one of the longest sieges in history took place in Candia after the Knights of the Order of Malta attacked an Ottoman convoy and docked with the treasure in the city of Candia. The Ottomans put the city under siege for twenty-one years until it eventually fell. During that time, the soldiers constantly circled between Crete and Venice.

---

Air Suplena Island, present day

The arrival of a bunch of knights of the Order of Malta puzzled all of the Hamon apprentices. No matter how much training they had received, nothing could prepare them for the sight of a group of 15th-century people disembarking in the harbor, ready to attack the residents of the island. The bewilderment quickly formed chaos that the apprentices soon began to undertake. Although the assailants seemed to be greater in number, no one was better trained than the Air Suplena apprentices.

Nevertheless, the attack was only a diversionary maneuver, and it worked perfectly. Between the noise of the alarms and the shouts of the people, no one heard Jolyne's scream.

The arduous training, both Bruno's and the island's, served its purpose. Wringing the hand off her shoulder, Jolyne was able to create three firm string ropes, extending them and loading them with Hamon to create powerful whips around herself. Neither the first nor the second hit their target, but the third whip struck Donatello's forearm hard and even caused him to bleed. Jolyne smiled at that, but Donatello looked at her oddly for a few moments before smiling too. She clenched her fists harder.

"How the hell did you manage to sneak in here?" She readied for another attack. "You're not supposed to be here!"

"Why, would you have kindly welcomed me if I told you I was coming?"

He calmly rolled up the sleeve of his white suit, with the first three buttons of the shirt open. A long red leather jacket was draped over his shoulders, fastened only by a platinum chain around his neck. The bleeding forearm slowly healed itself right before her frustrated eyes.

"You're getting stronger. I like it. My girlfriend can't be any less," he said, taking a couple of steps back. "A partner is someone who makes you grow as a person and challenges you."

With his unnatural speed, he touched the ground before trying to attack her again while dodging hers. Jolyne knew she couldn't attack him with the strings forever, and above all, she wouldn't hold out that long using Hamon; she had to be more precise. She found herself again in the same situation as in Florida, but now, Giorno would not magically appear out of nowhere to save her. She could not depend on anyone. As she had done so many times with Bruno, she threw Stone Free's fist against Donatello's face. Too busy dodging the strings, he couldn't dodge the fist. Jolyne found it very satisfying to wipe the smile off his face with one punch.

"I think we've had enough foreplay, darling," he said.

Jolyne became grim. She never thought it would be easy even with all her training, and his words proved that. She was still optimistic about her chances of defeating him, however.

"I hate you," she said, launching a whip that corrected its trajectory twice but still missed. She tried the attack again but only hit him in the jacket that fluttered with his movements. "I hate you so much, you piece of shit!"

She saw his eyes flash, his jaw clenching tight. Jolyne wanted to laugh.

"Aw, are you hurt?" she said.

"Enough games," he spat.

Glancing at his watch, Donatello realized he was running out of time. Her attacks were getting trickier too. He bent down to use his power.