23. Man Or Monster

There was nothing fast enough in the world to catch Gold Experience Requiem off guard. Giorno was practically immortal. However, that only applied to him.

Jolyne was a few steps away from him.

He barely had a few seconds' notice, but it was enough for him to launch himself on top of her and deflect all the impact except in one arm.

As they landed on the ground hard, they barely had enough time to prepare themselves for a second attack. Clutching his injured, bleeding arm, Giorno was about to turn to parry the oncoming attack when he heard repeated blows to the rhythm of 'ORA'. He felt Jolyne break away in a hurry and entangle the evident Stand user, who was one of the men who had been sitting at the table, in a string trap.

"Hey, watch it! Do you know who lent me this dress?" Jolyne steadily stood to her full height before kicking the man once, twice. "I could kill you for this."

Giorno released a breath when he noticed that she was completely unharmed; even her dress was pristine, not a thread out of place. As quickly as his heart settled back in his chest, it started to encase in ice.

He clambered to his feet and regarded the room. The explosion had overturned the seats and broken the table. It didn't seem like much, but if they hadn't escaped in time, it would have turned them into a bloody pulp. The traitors swarmed to the other side like rats, but unfortunately for them, there would be no escape. Their exit became sealed off as he made his way to the door.

Catching sight of the expression on his face, Jolyne stopped mid-kick. Without being asked, she released the man from her string trap and moved aside.

It was as if her actions had served as a trigger. He didn't think; he simply moved. With his good arm he took a piece of peppermint out of his pocket and shoved it down the subdued user's throat. There aren't a lot of pleasant ways to die, but having an arbutus tree materialize out of your throat is one of the worst ways to go.

Blood splattered everywhere, including on Giorno's face and clothes. The monster in him took immense pleasure in the metallic scent that assailed his nostrils. It stimulated him into wanting to see more blood, more and more.

There was no one among those he was looking at who were not enemies, so he was able to free the monster. The bloodlust he always held back was unleashed as he planned the fates of the traitors. His eyes blazed golden before the aquamarine irises drowned in red.

There were screams of horror from behind him. Slowly turning his head, Giorno saw that many of the guests had rushed over upon first hearing the explosion. They watched the blood-covered Don with terrified expressions as he dropped what remained of the enemy Stand user's body.

He was used to this kind of reaction, having had to accustom himself to it ever since seizing power over Passione. It was all part of the Don package, but saying the feeling wasn't bothersome sometimes would be a lie.

However, none of that mattered right now. The pale faces served to rouse a bit of sobriety in him, reminding him of how ruthless and cold-blooded his actions were. He had always tried to keep this side of him hidden at the palazzo, but now, he had unleashed himself in one of the worst times possible.

Had Jolyne seen what he had just done?

It was a foolish question; there was no reason for her not to have. He wondered if her face looked identical to the guests' right now, mirroring their shock, horror, and fear. That terrified him more than the attack itself. Showing her his true face might scare her off. Nevertheless, it was too late for regrets.

Heart in his throat, he turned around.

She had a disgusted expression on her face. She sat in one of the few intact armchairs, with two of the traitors who had tried to escape completely tied up. The pointy end of her heel dug into one.