Part One, Chapter One: Marriage?

"And you are sure it's mine," were not the words she had expected to hear in reply. He was being unexpectedly cold, especially considering they had not not parted on good terms.

She looked the duke in the eye and answered a terse "yes".

"You do not look to be with child."

He was in denial, wasn't he?

Thankfully, she had her perfectly reasonable answer ready. "I have not had my courses in four months. At first, I did think it was due to some other medical issue, but I have begun to show."

"I assume you expect me to marry you."

That was the crux of the matter. That he had to marry.

"I do not expect anything from you, Your Grace," she said, not really knowing how to address him now. "I am simply informing you; regardless of whether I am married or not, I will keep the child. And, no, I will not go about running around, spewing gossip that you have impregnated me."

For a moment, they stood in silence, him considering her words.

"I wish for you to marry me," he said calmly. "But if you do accept, we shall be married in name only. This is the only condition I have."

She considered her options. Marry, become a duchess, and have a legitimate child who could potentially be the heir to the dukedom, or reject his attempt at a proposal, and become a fallen woman with a child who would be doomed to live a life of misery since birth.

"I will marry you on the condition that you will be present in your child's life. This is my only condition." She did not expect any money or houses or dresses or jewellery from him, just his being present as a father.

Thus, on this silent and cold night, Seren, previously The Honourable Seren Parker, then Lady ferguson, the Countess Ferguson, and then the widowed countess, became the future Duchess of Blackfall.

-

Hello, I hope y'all have been enjoying reading this so far :D

Also, I am curious as to how you think the story will proceed 👀

-