Chapter Forty: An Unlikely Visitor

As if Seren had willed her wishes to become reality, two days later, the doctor treating the duke announced that he would survive the attack, and had already regained consciousness the night before, albeit briefly.

  However, he did fully regain consciousness on the third morning, and by the fourth night, was walking and talking fine, excepting stiff limbs and a hoarse voice.

  Unfortunately, some parts of him that were not fine were the wound near his chest and the wounds on his face. Currently, they were bandaged, and Seren desperately hoped Evangeline would not burst into tears upon seeing his unbandaged face, for that would heap another injury on top of the ones he had already sustained.

  They would soon find out, as the wounds “only” requiring stitches were removed after a week, and the bandages were completely off after another week. And by then, he had almost completely healed, physically, thankfully.

  Seren, however, flinched upon seeing his unbandaged face for the first time, when she went into his room to offer a cup of tea.

  (At least she did not drop the teacup.)

  The duke strode straight to the dressing table and removed the sheet covering its looking glass.

  “It’s not bad,” Seren tried reassuringly.

  He draped the sheet back on top of the mirror.

  “I’m sure if someone truly loved you, they would not mind,” she said again.

  “I haven’t a care for love.”

  “Still, you saved me. Thank you.”

  The duke sipped his tea. “I had to. Obviously—I won’t even mention his name—his parents had never said ‘no’ to him.”

  “You should inform your wife.”
  “There’s no need; I’m sure the knowledge of being a duchess will lure her back.”

  “I’ve always wondered why you’ve never gotten an annulment.”

  “I do too.”

  And then a footman announced that the Earl of Southridge—a known friend of he who will not be named—had come to visit, and wished to speak with the duke. The Duke allowed the earl into his room on the condition that Seren would remain in it as well, citing that he wanted everything the earl had to say to be said in front of her as well.

  In entered the Earl of Southridge. The last time Seren had seen him was at Mr. Richardson’s party, and he looked as pleasant as he had been then. But he, too, flinched and frowned at the duke’s face.

  Seren thought ignoring his reaction would have been the best course of action, but the duke did anything but. “Calm your drawers, Lord Southridge,” he said, “and get on with it.”

  The Earl took the gentlemanly route and ignored him. In a diplomatic voice, he said, “Since the viscount will obviously not, I apologise on his behalf, Your Grace, and Your Grace. What he did was irredeemable, and I, along with anyone else with half a brain, will have the good sense to end our relationships with him.”

  The duke looked like he could not believe the earl had said those words. He quickly regained his composure. “There is no need for you to apologise. The actions were his.”

  “Yes,” Seren said, adding, “and I hope you do not blame yourself for being an influence on him or whatnot.”

  “Alternatively, do,” the duke said, half sarcastically.

  The Earl took his leave. Before he did, he addressed the duke for a final time, saying, “don’t get your drawers in a knot, you look fine.”

  “School rivals?” Seren said to the duke.

  “Unfortunately.” He finished his cup of tea. “I had assumed you would be waiting for the attention of your lover instead of having tea with me.”

  “I have no lover.”

  “Then you should ask him to be yours.”

  If anything, he was quite ridiculous. “For someone who hasn’t a care for love, you do seem to be quite obsessed with it.” And this made him turn quiet. For now.

-

There are 3 chapters left, I'll probably post them all during the weekends :)))