Chapter Four: The Footman

Peter Knight was, unlike his name, not a knight. And he was definitely not an aristocrat. No, he was a simple peasant working as a footman in the Duke of Blackfall's household. Even though Mr. Johnson had pulled him aside and told him not to worry since Lady Anika was not mad about what had occurred, Peter knew that his status as a lowly footman was definitely going to change before dusk.

  If the duke was too drunk to fire him, the duchess would.

  He could feel her anger radiating from the basement.

  Just as he had predicted, he would be able to throw a pity party for himself as Mr. Johnson pulled him aside again, after the duchess had returned, and said that Her Grace would like to speak. To him. Privately.

  However, Peter could not deny being surprised that she would speak to him at all, instead of through a third-party like Mr. Johnson.

   The duchess waited for him inside a drawing room. He could not even discern which one this was, despite them all being named. It was one of the many darkly-decorated ones.

  He scurried towards her and gave a deep bow.

  "You spilled hot tea. If it had landed on Lady Anika, do you know how serious it would be? I'm sorry, but I must fire you," she said. And she turned to leave.

  He quickly caught up with her before she could leave the room, but kept a distance. "I'm sorry, Your Grace, but please have mercy! I need this job. I am desperate. I will do whatever it takes to keep it," the words came out in quick succession.

  "Nothing you say will change my mind," she said nonchalantly.

  Without hesitation, he replied, "I will get down on my knees and beg. Please, I am begging you."

  Coldly, she replied, "save yourself, and me, the embarrassment." And she left the room.

  Peter let out a deep sigh. The urge to collapse on the ground was great. He could not understand why the duke had married her, but he quickly corrected himself to not think about his employers in any form.

  Glancing around the room, he noticed its finery. Delicate pottery lined shelves while fine paintings lined the walls. The windows gave a clear view of the endless grassy field outside. Blackfall House was a lovely place one could dream of living in.

  He sighed again and left the room.

  Mr. Johnson was right outside. "Don't worry Peter, you'll be paid this month's salary in full."

  "It's okay, Sir, you don't have to console me. I made a mistake and I'll endure the consequences."

  Mr. Johnson gave him a pat on the shoulder and said he would send someone to help him pack before leaving. After all, he was the butler of the house and had many duties to carry out. Duties Peter would gladly assist him in, even for a fraction of a mediocre wage.

-

All I can say is oof.

First impression of Peter?

And what do you think will happen to him? And our duchess?

As always, thank you for reading!!

-