Chapter Two: Marriage.

A week later, they wed in a parish outside the city.

  It was a quiet affair, with only the priest, bride and groom, and best man and maid of honour present. Even Blackfall's remaining sibling, his younger brother, was not invited (or did not attend).

  The maid of honour was one of her closest friends, The Honourable Elizabeth Burns, daughter of the Viscount of Wilhart, while the best man was, as Seren had expected, the duke's close friend, Mr. Richardson. He was also a friend of hers, as Blackfall had introduced him to her about a year ago.

  It was a rather romantic event as well, with it being evening, and having the sun set in the distance. Or, rather, it would have been a romantic event if they were marrying for love instead of a child's future. Nonetheless, Seren knew a marriage did not need love to be a happy, or even successful one, and she was sure love could come later.

  She wore one of her favourite dresses--a mutton-sleeved dress in a deep shade of emerald. Her very-soon-to-be-husband wore one of his usual outfits. He did not smile, nor did he frown. He simply looked like he did not care that he was at his own wedding.

  In fact, even Mr. Richardson, who was known to be easily unamused, smiled when he congratulated the couple on their marriage, which was a smile more than the groom.

  The wedding was over almost as soon as it had started.

  After the three congratulations (one each from the priest, best man and maid of honour), were given, the event was over. The duke instructed Seren to travel back to his townhouse in his carriage without him, as he had "some business to attend to," as he had put it.

  He left on foot.

  From the carriage, Seren watched as he disappeared into the distance. It was a quiet ride back to the townhouse, marked by the occasional autumn breeze. She did not feel newly married. She still felt like Seren Ferguson, and not the newly married one, but the recently widowed one.

  At least her former husband had rode with her to their new home.

  She had to remind herself to not compare husbands, for one had already passed on. Her thoughts were interrupted when the carriage ceased to be in motion.

  Blackfall House occupied the view from the carriage window. It was unmistakable, due to its great size.

  Her new home.

  A footman opened the door, but he did not assist her down the carriage steps. Momentarily, she stood waiting by the door, staring at him in surprise. He was young, she supposed.

  The Butler, Mr. Johnson, who had been waiting by the pavement for the carriage to arrive, did not react at first-probably due to surprise as well-but quickly recovered and aided her down the carriage.

  "Your Grace, allow me to show you to your chambers," he said to her. Your Grace. No longer was she 'My Lady' or 'Your Ladyship'. She could hardly wrap her head around the fact that she was the Duchess of Blackfall, when a week ago she had been the Dowager Countess Ferguson. Heartily, she agreed to his words.

  The man showed her to her room and apologised for the footman's mistake, explaining that he had only been serving the family for a month. He proceeded to inform her that a lady's maid would be with her in five minutes, and in exactly five minutes, the woman arrived. She helped Seren out of her gown and bathed her, and afterwards, helped her into an ornate silk nightgown.

  Of course, her newlywed husband did not come to her bed that night. She was affronted, but bursting into her husband's chambers was not something a lady of good breeding did.

-

Who is that footman, I wonder...

Also, who is currently your favourite character so far (even though you've just met them lol)? Mine's Mr. Johnson. (He's probably the most decent one oops)

-