Chapter Twenty-six: Tea

Seren was crying in a drawing room. Again. Living in the house was a constant reminder that he-who-she-should-not-even-be-thinking-of was nearby, and simply thinking of it would send her into tears. She was tearing up at breakfast the following day, and by the late afternoon, she was sobbing.

  That was when she received yet another social call…in winter. She assumed it was some nosy gossip looking to inquire about her state of being with child but thanked goodness when it was the Viscount of Dolhm.

  She managed to briefly halt her emotions (which took about a quarter of an hour) to personally inform him that she was not feeling well, so his visit would have to be a short one. However, even after viewing the state she was in, he refused to leave her side.

  Seren supposed she might as well lament about her problems to him, since the Duke was emotionally unavailable, and also the cause of her distress, and since she could not confer with servants.

  “My relationship with him has been destroyed beyond repair,” she cried.

  The viscount took a sip of his tea, considering how to respond. “I’m sure you will eventually move on.”

  But she wasn’t sure if she would eventually move on.

-