Chapter Twenty: Look Who's Back (part 2)

The Viscount of Dolhm was the first guest to arrive for the two-week-long ball.

  Everything went according to plan. Most of the guests praised Seren for her planning, just as she had hoped, and as expected, she did not see much of Blackfall. Instead, she spent most of her time conversing with the viscount and the other guests.

  Unfortunately, a big topic of conversation was the duke.

  “Duchess, I trust that life being married to His Grace has been smooth-sailing," one said.

  Another asked, “how did the two of you meet?”

  Seren answered all the questions as formally and courteously as possible, but it could not be denied that doing so was painful.

  Thankfully, she had answered all questions regarding Blackfall when the viscount ushered her to the greenhouse that was attached to the corner of the main house, and said, “Seren, I am telling you this as a friend: there have been rumours that your husband has been seen with other women in a gaming club when he was in the city.”

  She could only stare blankly at him.
  The pain from the letter came back in a flood.

  Thankfully, however, some form of a reprieve came in the form of shouts that travelled from the main house to the greenhouse. Immediately, Seren strode back.

  Unfortunately, this new issue was another headache inducing one.

-

I wonder what could be happening...

-