16

The three of you watched over Momma K for the rest of the night. Tara wanted a few moments with her alone so you and Alex moved to the living room.  The two of you talked so more. Just random conversation, every so often Alex checks on her phone.

"Your phone has been going off nonstop." you chuckled. "Yeah sorry, it's Liv just making sure I'm okay," she says. "Oh," you mumbled trying to keep your jealous thoughts to yourself. "It's not what you think.. She's been helping me. We're still just friends. I haven't been with anyone since you." she explains.  "Me either," you whispered. Alex smiles nodding her head. "Well, I'm glad Olivia is helping you." You tell her. Alex snorts "Are you?" she asked. "Yes. I am." You chuckled.

Tara walks into the room with tears in her eyes. "Guys. I think it's happening." She says sniffling. You and Alex quickly join her in the room. The last couple of hours are spent hugging, crying, and watching Momma K take her final breaths until you hear the last one escape from her mouth. Tara cries harder holding her mother's hand. Alex pulls you into a hug as you cry. Once you pull back the two of wrap yourselves around Tara as you cry together.

At 5 am Momma K took her last breath and by 7 her bed, her, and all the machines were gone from the apartment leaving her room bare. "We will have services Saturday." Tara whispers. "Okay, do you want me to help you set everything up?" you asked her. She nods."If you need anything Tara I would be happy to help." Alex adds. Tara smiles "Thanks. For now, I think I'm going to take a walk, and then when I come back we will go from there." she says getting up from the chair heading towards the door. "You sure you're okay?" you asked her. She nods "Yeah. I just need a minute." she says. "Alright." you smile as she heads out the door.

"You okay?" Alex asked. "Yeah. I mean I'll miss her. But you know the last couple of months were hard on her. I'd much rather her be pain-free than stuck in that bed." you explained. Alex nods her head "Yeah I get that." she sighs looking around.  "If you need to go you can. I'll be okay," you tell her. Alex smiles "I have nowhere to be. Unless you want me to go." she offers. "No. I like having you here. I've missed you." you tell her. "I've missed you too." she smiles. "I know this may be weird but can we just cuddle and watch some TV like we use to? I just want to be held. I miss you holding me." you explained.  She nods "I've missed holding you," she said. You smiled as you slowly scoot over to cuddle in front of her. She lies down behind you on the couch as you turn the TV on. She wraps her arm around you pulling you closer to her. You sigh as your body melts against hers.

The next thing you know you're waking up on the couch and with Alex still wrapped around you. You gently turn in her arms to watch her sleep. The sight bringing tears to your eyes as you silently watch her. She stirs looking down at you. "Why are you crying?" she asked. "Because I've missed you so much. And I know it's not the right time but I want you so much and...I don't know it makes me sad knowing that I won't wake up to you tomorrow." you explain. She nods "I understand. I feel like I just got use to being alone and now. Well, now I don't want to let you go again." she whispered. You cry harder listening to her words and without thinking you reach up bringing her lips to yours. She sighs into the kiss cradling your cheek in her hand. Pulling back she sighs" My love, I want you so much. But you know we can't." she whispered. "I know," you whispered back. "Just one more kiss," you tell her. She chuckled reaching down to kiss you again. "I love you. I will always love you," you whispered. "Me too my love. Me too," she whispered pulling you in for a hug.

The service was wonderful and everything Tara asked for. Alex went above and beyond for the service. The room was filled with flowers making Tara smile. Once it was said and done the three of you chatted with some of the remaining people. Every so often you noticed Alex looking at you. You smiled as you continued your conversation. Once everyone was gone it was just the three of you left in the apartment. "Thank you both for helping me today," Tara says. "Of course T." You tell her wrapping her in a hug. She smiles offering Alex a hug as well. "I'm going to shower." She says waving at Alex.  Leaving the two of you standing in silence. "Umm, thanks for today. The flowers were amazing." You tell her. "Of course." She smiles. "Well, I guess I'll be going now." She whispered. You nod walking her to the door. "Alex," you called out to her. She stops turning to face you. "Umm, Tara and I have been talking and I think we're going to leave for a while." You tell her. "Leave? Where?" She asked. You shrugged your shoulders "I honestly don't know. I think we just need a fresh start." You explained.

Alex is quiet but she nods her head. "Tara wants to give you the rent for the last couple of months. "  "No. This apartment was a gift for her and momma k. It's hers." She says cutting you off. "Okay but if we leave.." You continued. "I paid in full for the apartment. It's hers forever. She can sell it or she can keep it for when she comes back. If you come back." Alex says. You smile "We will come back. I'll tell her." You say. "Okay." She says. "Alex. I love you. And I hope that when I do come back we can give it another shot." You tell her. She smiles "I'd like that." She whispered standing in front of the door. You smiled as the two of you stood there awkwardly.

Finally, she couldn't take it anymore and pulled you into her. The kiss is passionate and you cling to one another. Pulling back she rests her forehead against yours. "I'm going to miss you. But I want you to know that one day I will be ready for you. I just hope that it will be the right time." she whispered. You nod your head "It will be. One day we will be ready for each other. Until then I want you to be happy. I want you to live and love every day like it's your last. I promise I'll come back. But right now I just need a fresh start." You explained. She smiles nodding her head "Me too. I will always love you y/n" She cries. "I love you too Alex." You cried kissing her one more time. Finally, you pull away giving her a tiny wave as she leaves the apartment. You cry heavily watching her walk away.

Tara comes out of the room with tears in her eyes as she pulls you in for a hug. "Are you sure this is what you want?" She asked you. You nod your head "Yes. T. It's for the best." You tell her.  She nods "We leave in a couple of days. I heard what Alex said about the apartment so I guess we will just use it for storage for now." She says. "Sounds like a plan." You smile.

Throughout the next couple of days you and Tara pack what you're taking, call your jobs and handle any other details before your flight. Paris was the first stop you'd make and then from there, it was a mystery. You wrote Alex a letter explaining the plan and telling her about the apartment details and saying your goodbye. She emailed you periodically to catch up or see where you were at that time. But one day the emails stopped, you simply lost track of time. And the next thing you knew it was four years later. Four years since momma k died, four years since you and Alex broke up. Four years of traveling the world with your best friend. And now four years since you stepped foot in New York. This should interesting you think to yourself as you exit the taxi cab in front of your old apartment with Tara by your side.