Chapter 33 - Fair Lady

"Now, now," Signora began, twirling her hair as if she had no where else to be, "What's my senior doing running around with a lowlife adventurer, hm?"

Looking over at Scaramouche, you could tell he wanted to respond but the mere shock of being caught had stunned him. He was positive that they were being careful. Then again, their current position wasn't too hidden from the main path. In his mind, he placed the blame on Childe for being too loud.

Signora then turned her attention towards Childe, "And you. Why would you of all people help them? You don't strike me as the type to betray Her Majesty.. especially over something so foolish.."

"I don't owe you an explanation. Neither do they. You know what? I'm sick of this," Childe was becoming more and more agitated until finally, he snapped, "Their association with each other may not even concern me, but that also means it doesn't concern you either. So why are you so hell-bent on turning them in?"

Signora simply scoffed, "Hm, I could say the same to you. Why are you so fixed on wanting to help them escape?"

Though he was about to say something, Scaramouche was cut off by Childe once again, "Is that so wrong? What they're doing is harmless. His personal relations shouldn't have to be of anyone's concerns. Especially not the Tsaritsa's."

You didn't know much about Childe and Scaramouche's relationship, but from what you'd heard, they didn't get along whatsoever. In fact, they wanted nothing to do with one another. Yet somehow, here he was, sticking up for the very colleague that he despised so much. You couldn't help but wonder what had changed.

Practically ignoring Childe, Signora menacingly walked up to Scaramouche, towering over him, "I suppose I'll give you a chance to speak. Well? What do you have to say for yourself?" She folded her arms impatiently.

Scaramouche scowled, backing up a bit while also pushing you back in the process, in an attempt to shield you from Signora's line of fire, "As much as I hate to admit it, Childe's right. Why should it concern you? Huh?" A smile started to grow on his face, "Oh, I get it now. It's because of your sad and pathetic love story that you feel the need to destroy someone else's. Is that it?"

That clearly hit a nerve with her, because she tightened her grip on her arms.

"Look, I'm not one to get all sympathetic, but just because something unfortunate happened to you, doesn't mean you have to make someone else's life miserable," Scaramouche continued, starting to get mildly annoyed, "It would be in your best interest if you just turned around and walked out of here, forgetting you ever saw us."

Still shaken up from Scaramouche's statement about her past, she replied, "That would be directly going against Her Majesty's orders. Why would I even think about doing such a thing?"

"Uh, I don't know, basic human decency?!" Scaramouche yelled, though to be fair, you thought he was being a little hypocritical, well, a lot hypocritical actually, but he had a point.

Not knowing what to say, Signora's gaze turned towards you. She half expected you to be scared out of your mind, but to her dismay, you looked just the same as Scaramouche and Childe; pissed off.

Having said that, Signora took a step back whilst also taking a deep breath.

Scaramouche wasn't done though. He decided to keep going, "I'm not going to doubt the Tsaritsa's teachings, but don't you think this is at least a little bit unfair?"

This time it was Scaramouche who took a step forward, closing the distance between him and Signora, "Why don't you put yourself in my shoes for once. What if your lover were to come back? If he was standing right there in front of you. Would you welcome him like before, knowing very well the consequences if Her Majesty were to find out?"