Chapter 16

A/N: The image above does not belong to me. It belongs to the person who uploaded it on the internet.

Zee's POV

I paced in my room while I waited for Saint to come.

What was taking him so long. Perth had said that he was taking a shower not a bath. Showers didn't take this long what the hell.

Okay, I've had enough of this waiting.

I speed walked to his room and after barely knocking on the door,  I turned the knob and pushed open the door.

I was not prepared for what met my eyes.

Perth was holding Saint in his arms... and here's the kicker... Saint was fully naked, the white towel that he had obviously been wearing, lying discarded on the carpeted floor!

"What in the name of all that is holy ,,, !!!" My voice was raised so high that the receptionist came running to see what the matter was.

"I'm sorry, it's nothing, it's nothing," I said, quickly closing the door so that he would not be able to see Saint's naked body.

"Very well, if there's any problem, don't hesitate to call me," the receptionist said before turning and walking back to his post behind the reception counter.

During my brief exchange of words with the receptionist, Saint had managed to pick up the towel from the floor and wrap it around his waist.

I noticed both him and Perth breathing heavily and looking guilty as hell.

"I'm still waiting for an answer to my question," I said, looking Perth in the eye, not bothering to hide my hostility.

It was Saint who answered for Perth.

"Nothing inappropriate happened," he said. "I was trying to get my pajamas out of my suitcase and when I heard the knock on the door I quickly turned around to open it but I lost my footing and I would have ended up on the floor if Perth had not caught me in time."

"But why was your towel on the floor???" I asked, not yet satisfied with Saint's brief explanation of the situation.

Saint gave out a heavy sigh but I ignored it.

"As Perth was trying to catch me, he happened to grab at my towel and it got loosened from my waist," I could tell that Saint was trying hard to hold back his annoyance at my interrogation.

"I don't think it was an accident." I muttered under my breath and Perth heard me.

"Hey," he said, taking a threatening step toward me.

I didn't flinch. I held my ground.

"Stop it now," Saint said, stepping between me and Perth. "Why did you want to see me anyway?"

"I came to tell you that this idea of yours... this is not a good idea at all," I said, "I never advised you to do this sort of thing," I added, my voice full of reproach.

"Yes, I know that you didn't advise me to do this," Saint replied defiantly. "But I do believe that doing this will help me set my brain straight once and for all."

"What you're planning to do is not safe," I insisted. "We can sort your thoughts and feelings in my office."

There was a brief silence, with Saint looking down, as if studying his bare feet. Then finally he spoke.

"You have wasted your trip," Saint said, his voice sounding very much determined.

"So there's no way I can make you change your mind," I said with resignation.

"Nothing can make me change my mind," Saint confirmed my statement.

I glanced at Perth who was still standing in his spot, not making a move to walk away from me, as if ready to defend Saint if I ever got physical. Perth had an expressionless look on his face.

"You might regret it," I had to have the last word. Then I stomped out of the room.

I had no intention of driving back to my place tonight. I had already booked my room so I was going to sleep in this lodging first and then head back first thing in the morning.

Or, wait, an idea just hit me. I was going to secretly follow Saint to whichever part of the forest he was going tomorrow, and will observe his activities there. Yes, that sounds like a good plan to me.

With that thought I prepared for bed, feeling very much like a detective who was anticipating an exciting work ahead of him.

I woke up bright and early. After my morning rituals and changing into casual clothes, I headed for the breakfast room. No one else was there. Good. Either Saint and his driver were still asleep or they had headed for the forest early.

I fixed myself a brew from the coffee dispenser, with cream, no sugar.

Then I went to the self serve counter where I took a plate from a stack that was set on one corner and then used a shiny metal tong to pick up a slice of glazed ham and placed it on my plate. Then I chose a plain croissant and placed it beside my slice of ham. I ignored all the other assorted breakfast offerings and went to a table at the far corner of the breakfast room.

I had just drunk the last drop of my coffee when I saw Saint and his driver pass by the breakfast room and head towards the lobby.

I quickly set my coffee down and quietly followed them, making sure that my presence went unnoticed.

I followed as they walked, following a narrow path that led deeper into the forest.

They had walked for about fifteen minutes when they reached a clearing in the forest.

Saint motioned for Perth to stop walking while he walked a few steps forward.

Saint stood in the middle of the clearing. His back was to me so I could not see his face. He stood motionless for several minutes.

Then all of a sudden, he collapsed to the ground.