Chapter 23

A/N: The image above does not belong to me. It belongs to the person who uploaded it on the internet.

Zee's POV

I decided not to push the issue of the possibility that Saint and I could be an item once he was no longer my client.

I could tell from the expression on his face and the firmness in his voice that it wasn't going to happen. At least, not yet soon. I was still hoping though, that with much patience and perseverance I would be able to make him look on me as more than just a friend.

Soon there was a knock on the door and I went over to open it.

"Dinner is here," I announced to Saint as I stood aside and allowed the kitchen staff to roll in the food cart.

"Thank you," I said to the kitchen staff as I pressed a tip into his palm.

"Bon apetit," the kitchen staff said, bowing deeply before leaving the room.

I pushed the food cart towards the bed and lifted the tray that contained Saint's dinner and carefully placed it on Saint's lap.

Then I lifted my tray and carefully sat down beside Saint on the bed before placing it on my own lap.

We did not speak to each other for a while, just enjoying our delicious dinner.

I guess we were both really hungry and needed to satisfy our empty stomachs.

I noticed that a small amount of the tom yum soup was dripping from one corner of Saint's mouth.

I quickly picked up my table napkin and lightly wiped it off Saint's chin and lips.

He was busy chewing but he smiled at me and made the thumbs up sign as a way to thank me.

Soon we were both scooping into our fruit bowls.

"Thank you for making sure that they leave out the peaches," I said to Saint. "I almost suffered an anaphylactic shock the last time that I unknowingly ate a slice of it."

"Oh, no," Saint said,"we don't want that happening here."

"You betcha," I said with firm conviction.

I tried my best not to ask, but curiosity got the better of me.

"So what happened to your driver?" I asked.

Saint frowned at me.

"Please don't refer to Perth as my driver," he said.

"What's wrong with me calling him your driver?" I felt a little bit annoyed. "He is your driver, isn't he?"

"No," Saint replied emphatically. "He is my friend."

"But he is the one who drives you around, and you paid him to drive you here, am I right?" I asked, the feeling of annoyance still lingering within me.

"No, I did not pay him to bring me here," Saint replied, looking very much upset now. "He did it for me as a favor."

"Wow," I said. "I find that very suspicious indeed. Who would go out of his way to bring you to an out of town place in the middle of a forest if they did not have some inner motive, huh?"

I felt a little bit alarmed when Saint crossed his arms against his chest and said in an ominous voice, "I'm sorry that I asked you to come here to pick me up. I might not have enough money right now to pay for your transportation services. So you better leave now and send me your bill tomorrow. I promise I will pay you whatever you charge me."

"I came here of my own free will, Saint," I said. "I am not going to charge you for anything. I came here as your friend who cares about your safety. I can tell you are upset and I am sorry that I am the cause of your feeling upset. I won't mention your driver's name ... sorry, I mean Perth, again. Here, give me your empty dinner tray and I will place it on the food cart with mine and place it outside the door for the kitchen staff to pick up. If you need help to limp to the bathroom, wait for me and I will assist you to get there."

"Thank you," Saint said in a small voice.

I placed our empty dinner trays on to the food cart and rolled it outside the door.

When I walked back in, Saint's phone was ringing.

It wasn't the usual ring tone for a call. It was someone video calling him.

I quickly sat on the bed close beside him and managed to peek into his phone screen.

Shit, it was Perth video calling him.