Chapter 22

A/N: The image above does not belong to me. It belongs to the person who uploaded it on the internet.

Nunew's POV

Thankfully, the injuries that I sustained from the car accident were not life threatening.

I regained consciousness from the anesthesia that was given to me and found my mother hovering anxiously over me.

"Zee was here as soon as he heard about your accident," my mother informed me.

The mention of Zee's name made my heart rate shoot up.

"How did he know about it?" I asked.

"He said he saw it on the news and called me immediately to ask what hospital you were brought to by the paramedics," my mom replied.

"Where is he now and how long did he stay?" I asked, feeling guilty that I was asking my mom too many questions.

"He stayed for about half an hour, waiting for you to regain consciousness. Then he received several calls and some text messages. Then he waited until the doctor pronounced that you were in stable condition," my mom replied.

"And so where is he now?" I couldn't help asking once more. I just needed to know.

"He didn't say where he was going," my mom replied. "All he said was that he was going to come back as soon as he could."

"I see, thank you for the info, mom," I said, turning my face away from her so that she would not see the disappointment in my face. I felt hurt and disappointed that he did not wait long enough until I regained consciousness and to comfort me and give me some moral and emotional support. But then again, we were no longer boyfriends so he had no obligation to do any of those for me.

Soon a nurse came in with a stethoscope hanging around her shoulders.

"Hi, Mr. Chawarin," she greeted me with a cheery smile. "It's a big relief to see that you have regained consciousness. I will be listening to your abdomen to see if your digestive system can handle some nutrition."

And with those words she walked close to my bed and bent slightly and placed the stethoscope on my abdomen, pressing it lightly four times on four places of my abdomen.

Then she straightened up and announced, "You are ready to take some nutrition but we will start out with a full liquid diet. We will be sending an orderly to bring you a light dinner of a small bowl of warm soup and a small cup of jello."

"Thank you," I said, feeling really grateful because I was already feeling the beginning pangs of hunger.

I wondered when Zee was coming back to see me.

Then I had an idea.

"Mom," I called out to my mom who was busy going through each channel of my room TV.

"What is it, son?" she asked, immediately setting down the TV remote control on the small table at a corner of the room.

"Do you know where my phone is?" I asked.

"Yes," she said, standing up from her chair and walking over to the narrow closet in one corner of the room.

She took out a transparent plastic bag that had the label 'Patient's Belongings' on one side of it. It contained the clothes that I had been wearing at the time of the accident and it also contained my wallet and my phone. She took out my phone from the plastic bag and handed it to me.

"Thank you, mom," I said as I took it gratefully and pressed the home button.

After placing my code on the screen, I went through my list of contacts and tapped on Zee's number.

I wasn't going to call him just in case he didn't pick up and that would only leave me disappointed. I decided to text him and see if he would text me back.

Hey, thanks for coming over to see me here at the hospital

Before hitting send, I stopped to think whether I should add anything more to my text. I thought about asking whether he was coming back to see me again but decided against it. It would only make me sound desperate.

I tapped on Send.