Chapter 23

(Semi-edited)

Nicola's POV

  I yawned as I slowly faded from my dream. One of the best dreams I've had in a while. I blink a couple time to focus my eyes on the ceiling before turning my head to Elijah's side, but he isn't there.

  On cue the door opens to a shirtless Elijah in pajama pants with a tray with a plate of pancakes, orange juice, and syrup container.

  I smile wide. He places the breakfast on my lap before kissing me good morning and sitting beside me, putting on Gilmore Girls.

  After I finished my amazing breakfast, we continued watching a couple more episodes.

  "I want to have a Lorelei and Rory relationship with my baby." I hoped.

  "Well, we'll find out today if we're having a girl or a boy. Do you want to find out?"

  "Yes. But what if something wrong? What if I didn't eat enough?"

  "You ate plenty. I made sure remember? Three meals a day. I checked that you didn't skip." He assured me and rubs my arm. I sigh. He's right. We'll be fine.

  "We'd better get ready if we want to make it to the appointment." I get up and walk over to the mirror. I was in my Calvin Klein sports bra and boy shorts, my bloated belly was on full display.

  I was almost 17 weeks along, showing, but not much. Soon I'd be a size of a whale, and I was kind of scared of that, my back would be hurting like a mother.

  Elijah walks up from behind me and wraps his arms to rest his hands on my belly, making a heart shape with his thumbs and pointer finger. He kisses my neck before relaxing his chin on my shoulder, looking at us in the mirror.

  His eyes shimmered with content, as did mine. We we're happy.

  He turned me around and got on his knees and kissed my belly button.

  "Hi, little bean. It's daddy. We are so excited to have you finally come out into the world. We're about to find out if your a girl or a boy. Was I right?"

  We gasped.

  "Did-" I start.

  "She kicked." Elijah looks up into my eyes and we smile wildly.

  "She hears us." I laugh. I rake my hands through his hair as he places kisses all over my belly, whispering I love you.  He paused for a second and whispers to my belly.

  "I love you're mommy, too." He grins against my belly before getting up and kissing me with love and care.

  We get dressed and head to the car, Elijah's hand rested on my belly over my black lace tank top as he drove.

  After finally getting admitted to the ultrasound room, we did the same as last time, and looked at the screen intently.

  There it is. There she is. There he is.

  "Would you like to know the sex?" The doctor asks and we nod.

  "It's a girl." The doctor smiles and Elijah and I smile to each other.

  "There she is." I say out loud, gazing at the screen at my baby. At our baby. A tear escapes from the side of my eye and flows down to my hair but Elijah wipes it off, kissing my temple.

  "You're about to be 17 weeks along. You'll be feeling movement in a week or two."

"Oh, we already felt her kick this morning." I say.

  "Really? And this is your first child?" I nod. "Usually first-timers start feeling movement or kicks on week 20. Your baby is probably going to be quite the soccer player." The doctor smiles.

  Elijah slows the car as we pull into the drive way.

  "Where do you want the wedding to be? And the honeymoon after?" Elijah asks.

  "I was thinking in the woods. I've always loved looking into the woods and playing there as a child."

  "Snowy woods?"

  "Yes! And then for the honeymoon we go to Hawaii to hike to the waterfall!"

  I was feeling jubilant. I couldn't
believe in almost a month we'll be married.

  We've already decided the cake flavor would be coconut, and the hair stylists, makeup gurus, and the wedding shop we'd go to.

  —

  Day of the wedding.

   I woke to the sounds of birds chirping and a breeze moving the leaves. The smell in the air smelled of pine and fresh rain and dirt. I make a noise of content as I roll over, now face to face with Elijah.

  We rented a Cabin Chalet in the woods far from people, but still the sounds of workers rushing to get seats out and flowers ready flowed into the room through the wide open window.

  It had rained the day before so they had to be sure to set up a big canopy gazebo for the dinner and dance that came after.

  I became giddy as the thought of my wedding dress game to mind.

Katherine and Elena huddled into the room and began shooting Elijah away.

"We need to get her ready and you can't see her before the wedding, its bad luck! You already pushed it when you both slept in the same room." Katherine shakes her head on in disappointment.

"Time to get you ready for your wedding!" Elena squeals.

Oh boy.