Chapter 13: Tip of the iceberg

James woke up suddenly by urgent whispers of 'Ron! Ron!'. He slowly opened his curtain and saw Sirius and Remus do the same. Peter was still snoring. Ron woke up with a start and then frantically got up, when he saw whatever expression Hermione had.

"Do I need to pack?", Ron asked hurriedly, as he started to shove few of the things lying around.

"Couldn't hurt! She is... she is.. Come on, she waiting for us downstairs!", Hermione said in a really worried voice. Ron nodded and shrunk his stuff and placed it in his pocket. The two left the dorm.

Sirius, James and Remus as one got up and followed them, quietly behind. They decided to let Peter keep sleeping, it would take a lot of time to wake him and they might miss something important. The urgency in their voice told them whatever has happened is very huge. The Marauders don't leave their friends alone.

James realized the hypocrisy of his statement as they went past snoring Peter. But honestly, James was miffed at him. James, Sirius and Remus had come back to their dorm happy at how wonderful the night has gone. James was so happy when he heard that both Harry and Sirius have confessed that they were in love with each other. He understood Sirius's decision to give Harry time to be in a place for relationship. There was no need to hurry.

He did feel bad for Sirius but there was this tranquil expression on Sirius's face that chased away any disappointment he felt for his brother. He has never seen Sirius this peaceful. Sirius has had a turbulent last year and there always this shadow of uncertainty and instability lurking in his eyes. For first time in a year, he could see the calmness and pure happiness in them.

All their happiness and good mood had vanished the moment, they stepped into the dorm. Peter was standing there looking angry, which gave them a pause. Peter never really got angry at them, he agreed with whatever they wanted. They all looked at each and realized at the same time. They haven't even met Peter the whole night. James had tried to find Peter for few seconds but then totally forgot about it. Shit! They were about to apologize for being bad friends when Peter opened his mouth.

"Well I can see you are all very happy! Did you even notice that I was not there with you people? Did you even look for me? Why was I seated alone while you all were seating together?", Peter said angrily.

James said diplomatically,"Mate, we are sorry. There was nothing we could do about the seating arrangement. It was predecided. Why didn't you join us when the dancing started? I looked for you when dance started but I couldn't find you."

"You must not have looked properly! Forget it. I am off to bed!", Peter said angrily and went to bed.

James was miffed. What the hell did he mean by that? He did feel bad but there was more annoyance in him right now. Peter didn't need to wait for an invitation to join them. James had looked around for him but he didn't see him anywhere on or near the dance floor. He figured Peter was out getting lucky. Where the hell was this anger coming from? James decided to talk to Peter properly later that day. Guess his irritation at Peter hasn't gone yet.

They could hear Ron and Hermione whispering as they followed them down. Moony placed the light step charm on their feet to avoid making noise. They were a bit behind but they could see deep worry on Hermione's face.

"Ron, I am worried about her. She has the same look she had after her Godfather died. I ..", Hermione whispered. Ron got tensed.

"It won't get that bad. They are here, aren't they? We will tell them everything, if it comes to it. I am not losing Harry, not again.", Ron said with conviction.

Not again? What the hell had happened with these three? They knew they were caught in death eater fights and somehow managed to escape, after witnessing their families' deaths. But had something else happened, which they haven't spoken about? And who were 'they'?