Chapter 14: Underneath the surface

"Are you trying to fix me, Ron? I think it might be too late for that.", Harry asked in a broken voice.

It broke something in James too. He was in awe of this amazing person. The strength it took to be this person, after everything she has survived, was amazing. Ron chuckled roughly and shook his head. He brought out two bottles of firewhishkey and handed one to Harry. Harry opened hers and drank quarter of it without a pause.

"There is nothing to fix. You are amazing.", Ron said with emotion. Harry's eyes filled with tears again but this time in gratitude.

"Why save your aunt, Harry? I understand Dudley. He apologized and reformed himself. But why save those horrid bastards?", Ron asked her in controlled anger. James couldn't help but wonder the same thing.

"Because my mum loved her.", Harry said quietly. They all breathed in deeply. WHAT? She saved those vile fuckers because her dead mother loved that monster?

"Are you kidding me?" Ron anger was losing control.

Harry downed more firewhishkey and said softly,"My godfather, professor and almost everyone I met later on, were friend of dad. My mom's friends were all killed before her. Apart from the fact that my eyes were like my mom, I never really knew much about her. My aunt was the last link to them, my parents. My godfather was gone; all their friends were gone. I needed some connection with my parents. I hoped that once we didn't live together, maybe we would be amiable enough. It was a very wishful thinking."

Ron looked at Harry in wonder and sadness. He kissed her on her forehead. James wanted to hide this cinnamon bun away from the harshness of this cruel world. This pure, pure person.

"You never could let anyone die could you? Draco, your aunt, hell you wanted to save Bat too.", Ron said in wonder

"I could never let an innocent die. My aunt was innocent of this war. This war had nothing to do with her but she was in danger because of it. They were not innocent of me but of the war. I couldn't let them die. Draco... Even you saved his life. Why? Because he was defenseless and we knew he was forced into this life to save his father's. He was an innocent faced with impossible task. He wasn't a murderer but he had to do what he did to survive. Bat.. I don't think I was going to save him. But no one should die alone. It's inhumane. If we behave like the ones we are defending against, are we better than them?", Harry said profoundly

James's awe for Harry was growing and growing. She was so mature for someone her age. She knew about things that they had only read in books. She was righteous and moral. She didn't care who it was and what they did to her, as long as they didn't suffer for no reason. That is not how he would have reacted in this situation. Her parents would have been so proud of her.

"Tell me about one person who you would have stood aside to watch them suffer?", Ron asked curiously but his eyes told James that Ron knew the answer.

"Umbridge. I would have lead her to it.", Harry said. Ron laughed and nodded.

"Yeah, her. I would push her there. Sadistic bitch! Ahem..ahem.. boys and girls will be at 6 inches distance at all times." Ron said in high pitched girly voice. Harry grinned.

"She was a piece of work, alright. But I think she unknowingly started a revolution that continued later. It helped the students in a way, I guess. They were able to defend, hide and protect others a lot easier because they had already done it before. I felt this vindictive pleasure when the Bane took her for calling them half breeds. Her condition later was the only thing that brought a smile on my face during that time.", Harry smiled softly.

"She did do a lot of damage to other magical creatures, mixed children and werewolves. We should do something about her. She would be introducing that discriminating bill soon.", Ron said with a frown.