Chapter 16: My fawn

Prongs was in the forest, grazing. Suddenly, he heard a distress noise. For whatever reason, it made him very afraid and he ran towards the noise. There on the floor was Harry..Harry?.. unconscious and unresponsive. Prongs got very agitated. It tried to wake her up but there was no response from her. The pain that was enveloping Prongs was frightening. Suddenly, Harry opened her eyes and said weakly,"Dad!" and stopped breathing. Prongs freaked out and the pain in his chest drowned him.

James woke up with a gasp. What the hell... that was an intense dream but, why? The way Prongs was reacting to Harry, like she was his fawn. But, that is not possible. He lost his virginity only a couple of years ago. How could Harry be his daughter or Prongs's fawn? He didn't have sex as Prongs. Even then, the child would be a stag or half breeds. Errr... Yeah, so not possible in this case. His mind was trying to tell him something. He just couldn't grasp what it was.

Maybe listening to Harry last night, was making him feel this way. But why would Prongs react so strongly? And not just right now, since the beginning. There was something about Harry that was very familiar. For whatever reason, he felt panicky and decided to check to see that Harry was fine.

He took out the Marauder's map. "I solemnly swear that I am up to no good!". This map was good for such things. He searched for Harry in the map and there she was, sleeping between Ronald Weasley and Hermione Granger in the common room. Except.... was that Harry James Potter ...James Potter? Potter?!?

That was not possible. All dad's relatives were dead or childless. James was the last standing Potter of his generation. He would know because his parents had scoured the earth in search of another Potter, since they were childless for so long. They were sure they would die childless and it was important to pass the heritage to any living Potter. But there were none.

Then, how is Harry a Potter? A full grown Potter? Why didn't she tell him who she was in first place? Because of her past and suffering? Why take the name Granger? Why pretend to be a muggleborn, when she was at least half blood, if not pure blood like him? It was more dangerous for her to be muggleborn in this environment. He was missing something.

The way Harry talked about them, yesterday. How she didn't want to upheaval their lives...was there something more to it? The way Harry looked at him, sometimes, in longing, awe and pride... it was almost the look he has when he talks about his father, sans longing part. Is it because she wanted to tell him that she was family but couldn't for whatever reason? Was it because Voldemort was after her and she wanted to keep him safe? From everything he knew about her, it seemed right. But there was something about it still bugging him.

She looked like a Potter, now that he thought about it. She had the same untamed hair, body structure, quidditch skills, mischievous trait. All Potter trademark. She was an amazing duelist, like his dad. Didn't Lily often say that they could be long lost twins? What if that was true? Mom gave birth in the St. Mungos. Maybe someone stole a baby? There was no other plausible explanation. Maybe that's why Voldemort was targeting her? They we're powerful light side in the war and getting hold of one of them would be golden for him.

What about her parents' death? Did the people who stole her died? But she was sure she looked like her parents. How was that possible, unless she really was those people's child. Dad had an estranged cousin, who was murdered many, many years ago. Was he, her father? James Fleamont Potter never was good at leaving mystery alone, or else he would never have uncovered all the secrets of Hogwarts. He needed answers.

James picked the Marauder map and his invisibility clock and left his dorm. It was still dark outside and everyone was still sleeping. He saw Harry peacefully sleeping in the common room. The scar on her forehead was very prominent. She looked like him. He shook his head. Before confronting her, he would like to do his own research. He used the one-eyed witch shortcut and apparated home from Hogsmeade. He entered the quiet Potter Mansion.