Chapter 24

Felix was crashing late. 

She felt very uptight after the attack and had spent the last couple of hours pacing outside of all the bedroom doors. Also in hope she would see Zane doing the same.  

Of course, she had underestimated him. He wasn't that paranoid, right? 

As she was about to slide under her covers, a crinkling noise caused her to stop. A crumpled, sticky note sat under her comforter. She read it: 

I found more peanut butter. Once everyone is asleep, come down to the kitchen.

-REMY 

The excitement of peanut butter sent a thrill through Felix's body, and even if it was a prank, she figured it wouldn't be too bad. Ollie and Remy knew the rules.  

She crept down the stairs, wincing when her thumb left a dent when she squeezed the railing.  

Entering the kitchen, she saw Remy waiting. "Hi." 

"Hi." Remy whispered. "Come on, I had to hide the peanut butter in the closet and forgot where I put it. Help me look?" 

Now Felix was starting to get suspicious but figured she should be nice for peanut butter. "Ok." 

The closet was large, needing to have room for outwear for nine people, but only held a few jackets at the moment. It wasn't winter yet and they wanted to buy snow gear when it was on sale.  

Felix let Remy go in first, just in case something was going on. She began searching through the shoe bins. 

"Ollie! Ow!" 

THUMP 

CRASH 

Felix went tumbling down, another human landing on top of her from behind. She pushed them off, regretting listening to Remy. It was always a prank. 

Felix stood, seeing the groaning figure of Zane on the floor beside her. Remy grinned from the back of the closet. "Buh bye!" 

She went invisible and phased through the wall.  

Zane started to stand, holding a hand to his forehead. "Dang it, Ollie." 

Felix rolled up her pajama sleeves, and braced herself to knock down the door. "Give one second." 

 Ollie called from outside. "If you break the door, I'll tell everyone! Make it through the night, it stays a secret." 

Felix's eyes widened at the implication. She couldn't just let the power couple spill all her secrets. Letting out a sigh, she sank down against the wall. 

"What is she talking about?" Zane said.  

"Nothing." 

"Doesn't sound like nothing." 

"It's nothing!" Felix growled. "Pick a side of the closet. Sleep and just make it through the night. Then they might let us out." 

"Why are they doing this?" Zane asked, moving to the far side of the closet. "It doesn't make sense." 

Felix rolled her eyes. Sometimes, boys were clueless. 

"It doesn't matter." Felix said, turning away from him. 

Ollie whispered from outside. "Oh, it does matter." 

"It does." Remy said, sounding like she was suppressing laughter. 

Felix was silent.  

Zane sighed. "Why are you wearing flannel pajamas? It's like 80 degrees in here." 

"I wasn't planning on being trapped in a closet!" Felix snapped.  

"You're not trapped! You can kick down the door!" 

Ollie and Remy giggled from outside. "There is one other way you can get out..." 

Felix hated their implication. "NO!" 

Zane still looked confused. "What do they want?" 

"Tell him and get it over with..." Remy said mockingly.  

"No!" 

 Zane scooted over towards her. "Felix. I do not want to die in this closet. Whatever it is, you can tell me." 

Felix was bemused. When did dying in the closet come up? Was Zane claustrophobic? She kept quiet.  

Zane grabbed her shoulders and shook her gently. "Felix. Just tell me." 

"I-I-um..." 

Her eyes fell on his lips. It became all too clear on what was going to happen. 

Zane dawned on what was happening. "Oh." 

But he didn't move back in surprise as Felix expected him to. 

He came closer.