Act 2, Scene 2 - The Ball

From down the corridor, they can hear music and the bustling sound of people conversing and dancing together.

Holding Eleanor's palm up higher, Albert proudly escorts her into the ballroom, a few heads turning in their direction.

"Is that Lord Albert Moriarty?" A few women gasp.

"With a woman?"

"Is that Eleanor Williams?"

Had the pair not been as focused on another as they are, they may have heard the murmurs and questioning, but the pair gaze at one another as they wander, hand in hand.

The grand ballroom, ornately decorated in expensive golds, reds and cream colours, is large enough to accommodate a dance floor, small orchestra and piano, as well as a wooden bar and smoking area to the side with plush armchairs.

"Would you like a drink?" Albert asks.

She nods. "Some wine would be lovely."

"You read my mind." He smiles, guiding her over to the armchairs, placing a kiss on her hand before taking his leave back towards the bar.

Hands in her lap as she nervously fiddles, apprehensively awaiting Albert's return, Eleanor discreetly adjusts the neckline of her dress and the bust before resting her elbow on the arm of the sofa.

"Is that Miss Williams?"

Her eyes travel up from the carpeted floor to the man standing in front of her and she raises her eyebrows.

"Mr Edwards, what a pleasant surprise to see you here."

"And the same for myself. Your father isn't accompanying you on the voyage I take it?"

The well-dressed older gentleman stands in front of her, hands behind his back in a polite manner, his dark blonde hair combed back and a pair of glasses perched on his nose. He nurses a tumbler of port with ice.

She shakes her head. "I'm actually being accompanied by—"

"Mr Edwards?" Albert returns holding two glasses of red wine. "I didn't expect to see you here! How are you?"

Mr Edwards nods his head respectfully. "I'm doing well, my boy. Am I to assume, Eleanor, that Lord Moriarty is the fine gentleman who is accompanying you?"

"You would be correct," She laughs. "Please, join us for a drink if you'd like."

Doing as she says, Mr Edwards takes a seat on an armchair and Albert sits on the spot next to Eleanor on the sofa.

"I take it you know each other?" Albert asks.

Mr Edwards lets out a hearty laugh. "Of course, her father, Phillip, holds high status with Queen Victoria herself. We both work very close together, Mr Williams and I."

"Oh really?" Albert glances at Eleanor. "I had no idea."

She waves a hand. "It holds no great importance. Anyway, I'm surprised to see you here. Are you on the voyage to see the ballet?"

"I am indeed!" Mr Edwards eyes light up. "To be honest, I was never much of a theatre fan, until your father arranged tickets for my wife Annabelle and myself to see a certain performance and since then I've been hooked!"

"What performance was that, may I ask?" Albert queries.

Mr Edwards grins. "Why it was Eleanor's performance in 'Lady Windermere's Fan' that had me impressed. That was almost a year ago now, was it not?"

Eleanor purses her lips, nodding sheepishly. "Please, it's not necessary to speak of my performance so highly. However, I am glad to hear you enjoy the theatre now. It's true, the ballet should be an exciting performance."