Act 4, Scene 2 - The Distrust

Dear Albert,

I arrived in Paris yesterday and as I'm only here for a week, I decided to send this letter to you quickly. My hotel is by the river Seine and opposite the Eiffel Tower. I can confidently say that the paintings don't do the marvellous landmark justice and I'm excited to explore the city.

My audition is in two days' time but I'm to meet the Director beforehand for some tea and it's a chance to brush up on my French as I've not spoken it for quite some time.

I didn't have the chance to tell you before I left for my trip, but I finally got a positive review of my performance as Lady Macbeth. Although this is only the first, hopefully, it's the first of many.

After our many conversations, I believe that your encouraging words are what have influenced me to fully amerce myself in my role and play the character more freely. Thank you, Albert, I only hope that your support will continue and I want to stand by your side and support you in return.

This trip is also making me wish that I was spending it with you, Paris is the city of love after all. See you once I return.

I can't wait - Your Eleanor.

~

A hand to his breast pocket, Albert feels the outline of the letter and smiles to himself.

"What is it, Albert?" William asks.

Turning to his brothers, Albert raises his eyebrows, waving a hand. "It's no matter. I was simply reminded of the fact that Eleanor will be returning from her trip to Paris in two days."

"This woman again?" Louis' brows furrow into a scowl. "Brother, we have more pressing matters to attend to—"

"Calm it down, Louis," William chuckles. "Our brother is more than capable of carrying out his tasks as well as enjoying the company of Miss Eleanor."

Albert shakes his head, the three stopping at the door. "You needn't worry yourself, Louis. I understand my role in our plan and I assure you that nothing will be compromised."

"Does she know?" Louis questions.

"I beg your pardon?"

"Does she know about what we're doing? Have you told her?" Louis presses further.

"Louis, what has gotten into you?" William asks, red eyes widening.

Albert blinks. "Louis, where is this coming from? Do you not trust me?"

"It's not you, brother, i-it's—" Louis falters. "It's this woman you speak so fondly of. Suddenly she's all you talk about and it's as if our plans aren't of the utmost importance to you anymore. Sorry for my abruptness."

Sighing, Albert places a hand on Louis' shoulder. "I apologise if I made it seem that way, but it's the opposite. It's because I'm becoming more fond of Eleanor by the day that I'm fuelled to further push our plans. I realise now just why I wanted us to collapse the class system and that is to create a fair and equal London for all of us and for her."

William nods. "We understand your intentions, Albert. Thank you for saying so."

"And I would say that the meeting with Mycroft went rather well," Albert turns to look behind them. "Wouldn't you say, Irene Adler?"

The other two turn as she follows a few paces behind the brothers. Dressed in blue, Irene looks up from the brim of her matching hat atop her bright blonde hair, a somewhat relieved look on her face.

"What now?" She asks in a hushed tone.

"You will return to our hideout and await further instructions," William informs her. "You've done well."