Act 5, Scene 1 - The Knight's Speech

The weather as people walk around the Victoria Embankment Gardens is bright and sunny, the glow warming Eleanor's flushed skin. She raises a lace-gloved hand to shield her eyes from the sunlight. Tilting the brim of her blue hat down, she turns to her father as he checks his pocket watch.

"Albert and William should be there, awaiting Mr Whiteley's speech." She informs him.

Phillip nods, tucking the watch back inside his blazer. "I'm interested to see this MP Adam Whiteley. It should have a positive impact on the people and the future generation."

"The children of London?"

"Yes, it seems that some of the children of London have been playing a game called the Lord of Crime," Phillip tells her as they stroll through the beautiful new park. "So hopefully Adam Whiteley will steer them in the right direction."

Eleanor fans herself with her hand. "Are you sure it's not an innocent game of tag, father?"

"Perhaps it is," Phillip shrugs. "But the Lord of Crime is either being praised as a Robin Hood character or hated for his choice of targets."

"It's attracting polar opposite opinions, that's for certain," Eleanor mutters. "I personally don't believe it's such a bad idea to have this Lord of Crime running around. Though Scotland Yard is at their wit's end right about now trying to figure out who it is."

Phillip shakes his head. "At least Jack the Ripper seems to have been sorted out. I do feel sorry for the new head of Scotland Yard, however."

"Why do you say that?" Eleanor asks, eyebrows raised as they spot the large group of people standing before the wooden stage up ahead. "He's not got the White Chapel murderer to worry about."

"He's been thrown in to take charge at a time when a mastermind is at large," He says. "It appears the Lord of Crime is a bigger threat than Jack the Ripper."

"Ahh, Phillip Williams!"

With a wide smile on his face, Phillip adjusts his hat on his head. He reaches out to shake the gentleman's hand, who smiles back at him and returns the gesture.

"A pleasure to see you today, Mayor Damsten," Phillip greets him. "This is my daughter, Eleanor."

With a grey handlebar moustache, Mayor Damsten is dressed in a dark grey suit with a bowler hat atop his bald head.

The Mayor shakes Eleanor's hand with a firm grip. "I've heard a lot about you, Miss Eleanor."

"All good things I hope," She jokes. "A pleasure to meet you."

"Your last performance at the St James' theatre was last night, correct? My wife saw you a few weeks ago and raved about you." The Mayor tells her.

"That's correct and thank you for saying, she's too kind." Eleanor smiles politely.

The Mayor twists the corner of his moustache. "So what is next for you?"

"I'm awaiting news on a play in Paris, which is rather exciting," Eleanor tells him, shielding the sun from her eyes.

"A bright future ahead of you," He places a finger on his chin. "You're a fine young lady, I must introduce you to my son."

Phillip places a hand on her shoulder. "With all due respect Sir, Eleanor is courting a wonderful man. A Lord Albert Moriarty."

"Pardon me, I wish you all the best with Lord Moriarty," Mayor Damsten nods. "He's a polite young man, a member of the House of Lords no less."

A wide grin creeps on her lips and she looks past the Mayor. "Speaking of, I've just spotted him. It was a pleasure to meet you, Mayor Damsten."