Act 4, Scene 1 - The Riddle

"Good evening and welcome all! Please do not use each other's real names tonight as this is a masquerade ball. Tonight's entertainment is in the form of a riddle-solving game with the theme of the 'Lord of Crime', due to the current events taking place in London. One of the guests tonight has already been chosen as the Lord of Crime and they will commit 'murder' as the night goes on. The victim will be asked to then remove their mask and contribute their most expensive item on their person, in name of the charity for this evening. That guest will move to the second floor while the game continues. Once the Lord of Crime has been snuffed out, they will 'die' and then the game will be concluded. Enjoy your evening ladies and gentleman!"

The diamond chandelier-lit ballroom is bustling with people, all dressed to impress wearing masks to match their attire for the ball.

As Albert takes Eleanor's hand in his and bows, he places a kiss on the back of her hand and takes in the sight of her in her pale pink ballgown. "You are breathtaking, Eleanor."

A tug on his hand pulls him in closer and she grins as they start to dance, their torsos close and chests brushing together. "And you're a smooth talker."

He laughs softly. "It's true though. Your radiance is shining brighter than ever tonight."

"What about the mask?" She gestures to the mask on her face —white and gold with a pink feather.

"It simply accentuates your beautiful eyes," He tells her. "Try as you may Eleanor, I will never cease the compliments."

With a light blush creeping on her cheeks, she raises an eyebrow. "Then I'll continue to blush, Albert."

The pair dance together some more, hand in hand, warmth radiating from their bodies with an electric-like feeling exuding from their skin to skin contact.

"The theme of tonight intrigues me." Eleanor comments.

Albert raises his eyebrow, spinning her. "How so?"

She shrugs. "Isn't the Lord of Crime supposed to be an evil, criminal figure?"

"It appears that way, or at least, most believe that." He comments.

"It just seems slightly odd to make the crime taking place in London as of late a theme for a ball." Eleanor continues. "But ignore me, it's all in good fun I suppose."

He chuckles. "I do understand your thinking, but yes, it's simply a riddle for us all to solve."

The string quartet, accompanied by a piano, plays their tune and Eleanor places a finger on Albert's chin.

"This is an incredibly romantic song, 'La Valse D'Amour'." She tells him.

"I'd love to hear you play the piano some time, Eleanor." Albert's eyes gloss over her plump lips, his gaze finding hers.

"A Shakespeare quote comes to mind..."

Albert nods. "Yes?"

She smiles sweetly. "Would you like me to whisper it in your ear?"

Placing a hand to the side of his neck and drawing his face closer to hers, she leans to the side and whispers softly, uttering the words for only him to hear.

"If music be the food of love, play on,"

As she pulls away, their faces are inches apart and their warm breaths graze the other's skin. Albert opens his mouth to answer when he's interrupted by the sound of a loud conversation behind the pair.

He straightens up, eyebrows furrowed slightly. "Excuse me, Eleanor."

As he turns to the group of gentlemen, Eleanor follows him, watching while he politely interrupts.