Act 5, Scene 4 - The Night Before

The fire crackles brightly in the fireplace beside him, warming his cheek and side closest to the blaze. Embers spit out onto the hearth, tall candles line the dark mantelpiece.

Hair tousled, wearing a dark green robe, Albert's eyes gloss over the documents in his lap.

Two days previously, Eleanor had returned to the Moriarty Estate after meeting with Charles Augustus Milverton. Bond had shown the paperwork to the group and they proceeded to read through everything.

Apart from the business that he had with William, he also had information linking Sherlock and the Lord of Crime to one another. The Adam Whiteley folder was foolproof evidence that he'd blackmailed one of his supporting officers into killing the MP's family in cold blood —which was exactly what they were looking for.

Something else that Eleanor had picked up was on a woman named Mary Morston, containing information relevant to the French government, sensitive information that Milverton was holding against her.

Nonetheless, the day after she'd taken the documents from Milverton's office, they notified him and casually threatened the journalist into retrieving them somehow.

However, this hasn't quite gone to plan, as Milverton also has leverage against the Moriarty brothers and in return threatened them too.

"Have the others gone?"

"To see Milverton?" Albert scans the paperwork. "They have indeed. Left a few minutes ago."

They're both silent, Albert flicking through the documents in his sleepy state.

"I didn't realise there was a piano in this room."

"I brought it in for you," He tells her, placing the folder on the coffee table beside him and looking to the door. "Play me something, my dear."

Auburn hair braided and cascading down her back, dressed in a cream-coloured robe of Albert's, Eleanor takes a seat at the piano.

He watches as she sits upright on the stool, her braid slipping to the side of her shoulder. She splays her fingers out and begins to play.

The notes weave together and the hum of the lower notes ring out. Her fingers dance from black to white keys, gently playing the sounds of Beethoven softly and delicately. The tempo is eerily slow but also quite beautiful.

Albert's eyes fall on her frown as she plays the piece and a heaviness sits in his stomach. He continues to gaze at her as she plays.

The piece rises and falls with each section of music played.

"It's Moonlight Sonata," Eleanor tells him over the piano keys. "Beethoven."

"The first of three movements." Albert nods.

"With it being the first movement, it's not the most dynamic," She explains, her frown twisting into a smile. "Almost the whole piece is played pianissimo, only going as loud as mezzo forte."

The rhythmic melody practically glistens beneath her fingertips as she tickled the ivories.

"You play beautifully, my dear,"

She chuckles. "It's Beethoven's work."

Rising from the armchair, Albert runs a hand through his hair, making his way over to Eleanor at the piano.

"Beethoven described this piece as reminding him of the moon setting over Lake Lucerne in Switzerland. It's a beautiful piece."

The candle flickers on the lid of the piano, her gaze raising from the keys.

"What are you up to Albert?"

"Do you trust me?"

She falters in her playing and swiftly nods her head.