Act 4, Scene 4 - The Phone Call

The botanical themed restaurant is bustling with people dining for the evening. The walls are decorated with arched mirrors between the muted green wallpaper and large, green-leafed plants line the shelf below. Dark green chairs circle the round tables, spherical lights hanging from the ceiling. Quiet music plays behind the chatter from the diners.

"You look as beautiful as always, Eleanor." Albert sips from his wine.

"And the compliments continue," She jokes, resting her chin in her palm. "What about my brains, my dear Albert?"

A smirk plays on his lips as he lowers his glass. "Your brains are just as beautiful but intriguing and complex as well."

"Well I thoroughly admire your thoughts and opinions as well as your dashing outward appearance," Eleanor tells him, raising her glass. "Here's to many more nights together like this."

They clink their glasses, drinking their Cabalie red wine and glancing down at the menu.

"Would you care for a dessert?" Albert asks.

Eleanor clicks her tongue as her eyes scan the array of desserts. "A slice of cherry tart seems nice. And you?"

"The apple pie is taking my fancy."

Walking over to the table, a waiter clears his throat and the couple looks up at him.

"I'm terribly sorry to interrupt your evening, but there is a phone call for you Lord Moriarty. It's from your brother, he says it's urgent."

Eyebrows raised, Albert thanks him and the waiter walks away. With a smile on his face, Albert excuses himself and follows the waiter over to the telephone.

Picking up the receiver, Albert clears his throat. "Brother?"

"Albert?" William asks, his voice his usual calm self. Albert can only assume that he's bubbling under the surface.

"Is something the matter? The waiter told me it was urgent."

"It is. The matter isn't urgent, only the fact that I tell you right away is important." William begins. "I'm being blackmailed."

Albert frowns. "By who?"

"The blackmail is surrounding the court case that Louis and I were part of with the orphanage years ago. I fear our identities as the Lord of Crime will be revealed far too early into our plans if this is to be of public knowledge."

"I see."

William continues. "The reason it's being brought out of the shadows makes me wonder if they know my identity and that this is only the beginning."

"Who is it blackmailing you?" Albert asks.

"It's Milverton."

Eyes wide, Albert takes in a deep breath. "Are you sure?"

"Almost certain. He is the King of Blackmail after all."

The line is silent for a moment. The chatter from the restaurant is drowned out by the loud thoughts in Albert's head.

William speaks up. "I'm worried for Eleanor. For the two of you."

"I want to tell her. I need to tell her. I can't keep her in the dark anymore, for both our sakes."

"I expected as much," William sighs. "She deserves to know the whole truth, especially since you've grown fond of her."

Albert agrees. "I trust her and I hope you and the others know that I would never tell her if it hadn't become serious. William, I— I believe that I love—"