Act 6, Scene 4 - The Bridge

All that glitters is not gold.

Not everything beautiful and shiny on the surface is actually as it seems. It may appear wonderful on the outside, but look deeper and you may be surprised by its true meaning and intentions.

Eleanor knows his words ring true, but the reason why he's saying this all now is a complete mystery to her.

"Why did you say that?"

"I'm sorry?" Albert raises his brows, the carriage rocking slightly as they go.

"You told me how much you love me like this is all going to be the end," Eleanor purses her lips. "When you say things like that, it scares me, Albert."

"Why would it scare you, my dear?" He asks.

"I asked you if this was the end and you ignored me." She takes in a deep breath. "I love you so much that it hurts to hear you say things like that. It's as if after tonight, everything is all over."

For a moment, he's quiet. The roads far away are starting to catch alight from the flames, their carriage travelling further away from the ensuing chaos.

"I realise that it was unfair of me to ignore your question." He begins. "Eleanor, my dear, can you promise me one thing?"

She looks up from the floor, slowly nodding in response.

"I promise to make you the happiest woman alive, I swear." He sends her a sincere look. "But all I ask is that you promise to wait for me."

Exhaling, Eleanor tilts her head to the side, the corner of her mouth tugging up. "Do you see me going anywhere?"

Pushing a hand through his hair, Albert's heart glows with warmth and he lets out a deep sigh of relief.

"Although, I might be going somewhere..." She tucks the hair behind her ear. "I got news from the Director in Paris."

"And? Good news?" He raises his eyebrows, leaning forward apprehensively.

She glances out the window. "I've been given the lead role."

His face lights up and he reaches forward to grab her hands. "That's brilliant news, my love. Well done."

"Thank you..." She smiles weakly, glancing at him briefly before staring out the window.

"What's wrong?" He asks, sitting back in his seat.

"The city...it's burning."

From the streets far away, rows of houses are alight, the citizens of London crying and yelling out for help. More and more houses are engulfed in bright flames, wood scorching, glass smashing and rooftops collapsing. Once one fire burns out, another's burning; just the same as one pain is lessened by another's anguish.

"I'm going to hand myself over."

"What was that?" She asks casually, peering closer to the window.

"Once William has taken his final bow, I'm going to own up to the crimes. For the sake of our family name."

Silence.

His heart thuds in his chest as he stares at her, hoping to get some sort of reaction. There's no sign of anger or sadness on her face, she simply looks at him with raised eyebrows and her lips pressed into a thin line.

"What are you thinking?"

She squeezes her eyes shut, letting out a deep breath. "I don't understand..."

"I realise that's a lot to take in—"

"—no, I took it in," She interjects. "I just don't understand what that means for us."