Act 5, Scene 2 - The Downfall

"Florence, how are things with the Earl of Kent's son?"

"Thomas?" Florence asks, twirling the end of her bright blonde hair between her fingers. "It's going well, we've met as families more than a handful of times."

"He is rather dashing," Victoria swings her light brown hair over her shoulder. "And you, Eleanor? How are things with Lord Moriarty?"

"You mean Albert." Florence winks, taking a forkful of cake from her plate.

Looking down at her floral teacup, the loose leaves swirling, a small smile creeps on Eleanor's face. "Very well."

"We told you!" Victoria waves a hand.

"How many weeks has it been since you first acquainted?" Florence asks.

Eleanor purses her lips, thinking for a moment. "Four weeks or so?"

The friends share a smug look, nodding in response to their friend.

"Do your parents like him?" Victoria asks pointedly.

Eleanor shrugs. "My father likes him, they know each other from work at the palace. I assume mother does since he's a Lord, but she doesn't appreciate the informality of our meetings."

Victoria crosses her arms, an eyebrow cocked suspiciously. "How informal are your meetings?"

"We don't have a chaperone." She tells them, both gasping under their breaths.

"You mean you're unattended?" Florence asks, sipping her tea.

Eleanor purses her lips. "Um, well, mostly, yes..."

Victoria's eyes practically bulge out of her head. "You can't be serious?"

"I don't blame your mother for not approving..." Florence grimaces. "Sorry, I know you like him, but I understand where she's coming from."

"Your father wasn't born into a family of higher standing as your mother was, he's of working class descent, so he wouldn't understand—" Victoria speaks her mind, regretfully looking down and away. "I shouldn't have said that..."

Eyes narrowed slightly, Eleanor places her China cup down on the saucer. "You didn't need to say that. Let's drop it."

The three sit in uncomfortable silence, both Eleanor and Victoria avoiding the other's gaze.

Florence clears her throat awkwardly. "Are you seeing Albert later today?"

~

The carriage trundles along, vibrating gently as they go over bumps in the road.

"Thank you for dinner, Albert." Eleanor smiles.

Albert sends her a brief nod.

"Is something wrong?" She asks, eyes searching his face.

"It's a rather sensitive matter."

Eleanor sighs. "We're hurrying back to the estate for a reason. Did William say something over the phone at dinner?"

"Somethings happened," Albert begins. "Adam Whiteley's brother? He was murdered this evening, along with the officers ordered to take care of him and their maid."

A shaky hand over her mouth, Eleanor's eyes widen. "What?"

Albert's eyes meet hers, glossed over. "He phoned the estate, looking for me. William took the message, so I phoned Adam back promptly and he told me."

"What else did Adam say?" She asks.

"He hasn't said much about it, but he came home to find the bodies and he's devastated. Understandably so." Albert looks out the window again.