chapt 13 • Let Me Help

I was dreading her arrival

I was waiting outside when the black limo made its stop in front of the academy. The driver coming around the right to open the door, Grandma's long dress stood out first before she stepped out of the vehicle entirely.

Grandma as always carried her bible and her gray hair was pinned up behind her head. Her expression of the academy changed when she saw me standing on the steps, her first objective was to judge my short plaid skirt and black cropped shirt.

"Haven't you seen the clothes I've sent you? You're practically naked right now" Is the first thing she says when she approaches me, Grandma eyeing my entire body carefully.

"They must've gotten lost in the mail or hopefully somewhere in the ocean" Her face holds a scowl, we enter the main building, Grandma complimenting the bible scriptures on the walls.

"Annalise is a good friend of mine, I just don't understand your disrespect for adults Honey. I truly believe it was you acting out for attention, so I've set up a meeting for you to apologize" Grandma stops walking, I scoff at her words.

Acting out for attention.

"Disrespect? If anything, she should be sending me an apology. I understand she's in a higher power but that doesn't give her the right to bash mother with every chance she gets."

Grandma would never take my side on this, even if Annalise had magically stabbed me with a knife. Grandma would only allow the blame to fall on me, her reaction only proves my point.

"When are you going to realize she doesn't concern you anymore?" I feel myself grow angry at the woman standing in front of me, brushing off her daughter and granddaughter as some curse that was set upon her.

"She's my mother, she will always concern me. I understand why she was the she was because she had to put up with a shitty mother" Grandma's mouth falls open, her face begins to grow red with anger.

"You will not speak to me like that Honey! You need to grow up, what happened to her had nothing to do with me. She decided to ruin her life and now she's ruining yours" I couldn't even look at her, how could she be so inconsiderate?

"Everything I've ever done was to give her a good life, she never once thanked me even when I forgave her for bearing a child before marriage"

"I'll be visiting monthly now, to make sure you aren't fooling around" I don't say anything back, I let her inspect the art on the wall further. Not wanting to speak to her more than I half to.

"Lucky me" I cross my arms and follow her.

For the rest of the time, Grandma only spoke about how she adored the studies at the Academy, and I was right behind her. Begging and begging this visit would end soon.

After my wishes came true, Grandma entered the limo and drove off. I felt free yet again, the only downside was that she'd be back in a month.