16. Smiling mess

Elizabeth and Paul had been working on their project for a couple of hours until they had finished. Sensing the fact that Paul didn't seem keen to go home, she proposed they watch a movie. She was happy enough watching a movie with Paul instead of sitting alone in her room drawing what she saw out of her window or how she was feeling or what she was thinking.

They were both sat on the couch, watching 'friends', Elizabeth's favourite TV show, though Paul's eyes were often finding themselves observing his girl. They had got through a few episodes when Sarah and Darren walked in. Usually they came in at different times, having different jobs, they finished at different times so Lizzie knew straight away that they were both there at the same time on purpose. To tease her and get to know Paul.

Paul was surprisingly charming with 'parents' or in Lizzie's case 'guardians' though she didn't like the word, it seemed too formal for the people who had become very parent like to the teenage girl.

Before the two adults could start embarrassing Elizabeth by showing the few baby photos they had of her, she insisted that Paul had to be getting home for tea.

She walked Paul out of the house and as they stood there, the girl could feel his gaze on her as his hand clutched his backpack with one hand as his other hand nervously rubbed the back of his neck, a nervous habit of his that Lizzie had started to pick up on.

"See you tomorrow Lahote."

He paused for a moment before leaning down slightly as his lips brushed against her cheek, almost instantly causing a small blush to appear.

"You missed"- Lizzie grinned

He looked down at the beautiful, smirking girl in front of him slightly confused as his gaze flicked from the emerald green eyes he found himself constantly getting lost in, to the soft lips of the girl he so desperately wanted to kiss.

Elizabeth stepped up onto her tippy toes to reach the boys lips. For a millisecond, there wasn't any movement until their lips synced up with each other, fitting together perfectly as if it was instinct. Paul's arm found its way around Lizzie's waist as his other hand was placed gently on the girls cheek. Elizabeth had one hand placed against the warm, muscular chest of Paul as the other had found its way into the boys short hair, gently combing through it.
She could feel him smile against her lips, causing her to do the same.
When they pulled apart, they were both slightly out of breath and flustered.

"See you tomorrow Liz." Paul was unsuccessful at attempting to hide the wide smile on his face as he made his was back to his car.

At the sound of the front door opening, both Sarah and Darren shared a knowing look at their blushing niece who couldn't hide her own smile. They felt nothing but happiness as they witnessed the pure peace and happiness this boy brought to the girl who just a week ago had to move to a new town and start a new life after such horrible events. They wanted nothing more than for her to be happy.

"So?" It was Lizzie's auntie who spoke as her uncle just raised an eyebrow.

"I have no idea what you're thinking but I'm going upstairs." She spoke 'innocently' though she couldn't stop smiling. Before they could even reply, she hurried up to her room to avoid any interrogation.