Chapter 5: Elisia's promise

The promotion ball for Elisia's brother was approaching in less than a week and I was still stuck in my room because of my stupid broken arm. I hadn't even been given an audience with Elisia's father even though Aug has asked many times. Each time she asks it's immediately shot down with Elisia's father saying I needed more rest. It's really starting to piss me off, the worst part is that in this kingdom they don't really have a good option for pain so every time I move my arm pain shoots through me. So those things on top of each other are really making my blood boil.  

If I have to sit in bed for one more day I'm going to lose my mind. I look over to Aug who is sitting stitching up the dress that I was wearing when I got my ass beat. 

"Do you think father would grant me an audience today?" I ask putting my good arm behind my head. 

"Most likely not, but I can ask again if you wish," Aug says putting down the needle. 

"I'm sorry but I really want to at least ask," I say scrunching my eyebrows. Aug sighs softly.

"M'lady, I know you really want to be a knight but you know your father would never allow it. You know how he is," Aug said standing and wiping off imaginary dust from her clothes.

"Yeah, I know, but I'll make him let me join. Trust me, Aug. I'm like a cornered lion, I'll attack out of a pure will to live," I say and if I were in the game of this world the artist would add an eye glimmer here to show my determination, but sadly this world doesn't show the eye glimmer thing. It would make life a bit less dull.

"A lion, please m'lady. The closest you are to a lion is that you laze around all day, I've never once seen you bite or roar," Aug said with a small grin.

"Would you like to see me do such things?" I ask with a wider grin.

"Honestly I would just to see you get a bit more life in you. I wouldn't even be mad if you threw a fit, you've always been such a patient child from the moment you were born. You were never any trouble or cried unnecessarily. It was almost like you gave up even before you got the chance to fight," She said with a small wistful smile. She shook her head at the thought put all the sewing stuff away and left the room. 

I watched her go with a quiet mind. I never knew Elisia was a quiet kid, I always thought she was loud and stubborn. My own quiet life flashed before me, maybe we were more similar than I ever knew. Both had to learn how to be cruel in order to survive and get what they wanted. 

The sound of a knock made me jump out of my thinking.

"Come in," I said standing and walking to my vanity, I was tired of people seeing me laze about in bed. I was going to show that I at least wasn't gonna stay in bed all the time. I startle as I see Herman, Elisia's father's personal butler.

"Herman, what brings you here?" I ask startled, my pulse beats ever so harder.

"His dukeship has granted you an audience with him, you have been put in for lunch with him," Herman said flat. Herman had no qualms with Elisia other than she was his master.

My eyes glance at the clock on the wall, it was about 30 minutes until lunchtime.

"Is that all, Herman?" I ask trying to hide the grin on my face. 

"Yes, m'lady," he says bored.

"Thank you, Herman that is fabulous, tell father I look forward to it, you are dismissed," I said nodding at him in the mirror. He still looks slightly shocked that I thanked him. I was born in the American south we always thank people when they've done something for us and since I now live as Elisia I make sure to thank people.