Chapter 10 Knight's School?

Elisia

The next day the duke called me into his office. As Aug got me ready I look down at my arms, my left one has a cut running down my arm my right still looked bruised and swollen. It must be more hurt after the party yesterday.

"Are you alright m'lady?" Aug asks. I nod.

"What colour would you like?" She asks pointing to the dresses. I sigh sadly as I look at all of the beautiful dresses in my wardrobe.

"The black pants and burnt orange blouse," I say looking longingly at the dresses.

"M'lady? Are you sure you don't want to wear a dress?" She asks laughing.

"I would kill to wear one of those Aug, but the outfit is a protest directly to my father," I say softly.

"Do you at least want to wear a corset?" she asks. I look softly at the lovely corsets laying on the bed.

"Yeah, I think one should be okay," I say walking over to my choices. I grab a brown muted one with silver leaves on it.

"Good choice M'lady," she said helping me with it. I leave my hair down. I look at myself in the mirror and grin. He's gonna hate this.

I open my door and walk without an escort to the duke's office. With only one curt knock I open the door.

I'm exactly on time so he can't complain that I only knocked once or that I'm early. I don't bow to him as I enter the room. Inside I see him working on some paperwork.

"You called for me."

"I did but I do believe I called for you at 12:00," he says.

"And it is exactly 12:00 right now, you'd notice if you got your nose out of your book instead of complaining about my arrival," I say and look at the time 12:00 exactly still. He lifted his head and looked at the clock. He grimaces as he realizes I'm correct it is now 12:01.

"If anything, you are late," I say shrugging. I walk up to his desk and ring his bell. Instantly Herman comes in.

"Yes, your highness?" He says bowing.

"Bring us some tea would you?" I say sitting down across from the duke. Both look at me completely shocked. Herman looks to the duke.

"Do. not. look. to. him. I am a member of this family, and I may give you orders as I please. Now shall I have you fired or are you gonna get me my tea?" I say crossing my feet. Herman says nothing more as he dashes from the room.

"Elisia! What on earth are you doing?" The duke demands.

"I'm making myself comfortable, you called me into your office and didn't offer me tea. That's rude of you. So, I thought I'd correct your misbehaviour as well as get rid of your extra ear at the door," I say shrugging.

"Elisia, stand up at this once," he says. I look at him and raise an eyebrow.

"You're going to make a lady stand?" I say shaking my head.

"You are no lady, look at you," he shouts. I chuckle softly at him.

"I am merely dressing for comfort, I compromised and wore a corset," I say pointing to it.

"That is no way for a lady to dress," he says marching around the desk. I look at him from my seat and grin at him. I'd never seen him move faster as he pulls the chair from beneath me. I barely had time to stand.

"If I didn't know any better I'd say you were trying to hurt me," I chuckle as we stand across from each other.

Without another second of hesitation, he draws his hand back. I ready myself for the slap. As his hand sails through the air, the door opens, and Herman comes in with the tea.