Chapter 9 Party Time Part 3

Elisia

I danced with Alister, Dimitri, and a few other men, but I've been unable to approach Keeper. He's been standing with Father Gothi this whole time watching everyone dance. It's honestly heartbreaking. I don't know if the father isn't letting him dance or if he just hasn't asked anyone. But I'm going to ask him to dance worst comes to worst he says no because Father Gothi won't let him. However, since I'm of high status it'd be disrespectful to my family if he said no.

I take a deep breath and cross the dance floor towards him. When our eyes meet he starts walking towards me as well. My heart beats through my ears.

We meet halfway through the crowd.

"May I have this dance?"

"You want to dance?"

We say at the same time. A blush goes across both of our faces. He takes my hand.

"I've been waiting for the chance to ask you to dance all night," Elisia says as they move to the beat of the song.

"I have been too, but every time I find you someone beats me to it," he says laughing lightly.

"Well, I'd be glad to have a dance to dance with you," I say giving him a soft smile. He blushes once again.

"Thanks. I wanted to thank you for your words earlier but in all honesty, I'm glad to be thought of as something of use," he says not meeting my eyes.

"Well, you're a person not just simply a thing. Remember that, the church isn't the only thing out there for you," I say looking him in the eye trying to make sure he knows that.

"But without the temple, I'd still be in spring alone and starving if not dead. You wouldn't understand," He says softly.

"You're right, I don't understand. But see it from my perspective too. You seem swallowed up by the temple. They treat you like you're some reborn creature transformed from the hands of the evil springs. They treat you like you're less because you were born in spring. They don't treat you like you belong here and that I understand," I say as he spins me. He stays silent for a few more moments longer.

"I don't care how they treat me as long my sister's belly is full. I'll take much worse than this so I'm glad I'm just a trophy," He says still not looking me in the eyes.

"I understand more than you think I do. Feeling like you have to prove something because of the way you're born, but you don't. I can't fully relate to your situation but I can sympathise. I know what it's like to be judged for the way you look or the way the power you hold makes you look," I say bowing softly to him as the song ends.

"Just remember you'll always have at least a friend in me, and that you are your own person. You don't owe the temple more than what you've given," I say as we part.

"I'll remember that thank you, Your Highness," he says bowing.

"Please, just call me Elisia, we're friends after all," I say smiling shyly. He said nothing more as he went back to his place next to Father Gothi. I sigh heavily as Father Gothi gives me a look that could kill. He doesn't like that I danced with Keeper.

I look around the room to find somewhere to hide for the rest of the event. It's roughly 9 pm still about 2 hours left in the party but most people will start leaving soon.

I go to the balcony to rest a bit. I open the door and see a girl dressed head to toe in black. She looks like a glass doll but goth. She was no older than ten. This is Penny the King's youngest kid.