Chapter 11 Training

Alister

I walk through the place still half asleep last night I listened to Brandon rage on about being rich sucked. I tried four times to get him to leave but he wouldn't. He finally agreed to leave when I told him he could watch Dimitri and me spar today. Then Penny was talking about the next tea party she will host here in a week all breakfast long. I was almost looking forward to class today which means neither of my younger siblings got to talk the entire time.

I pull out my quill and look over my notes again. The language here isn't anything I recognize; it honestly looks like scribbling. Like the artist just used a brush for words instead of making up a language. But I read it just fine.

"Alright kids, today's topic is basic trade," Mr Lacey said. I shrug I'm not too heavily interested, but I could most definitely see it being useful.

"Let's start with a basic problem, what would you sell in a city that is poor but comfortable? I want an answer from each of you and don't forget to explain why."

"Clothes obviously. I'd sell them in basic easy colours made of materials that are easy to come by. Clothes are something the working people need more than anything," Samson said his tone sure. Mr Lacey nods.

"Yes, that is a good answer, but not what I was looking for. There are already plenty of clothing stores in this type of city," Mr Lacey says.

"I'd start a Tavern with a Menu modelled after courses you could have here in the place because food is always in need," Brandon said smirking.

"That's good, but how would you get access to all the spices and ingredients we use here? In the end either it would be too expensive for the customer or for you," Mr Lacey explained. Brandon grimaced.

"I'd build another church and use the offerings for my own purposes like the church already does, plus I'd open a kitchen so you could eat during church service," Penny said, her feet kicked up beneath the desk. I let out a little laugh figuring she'd say something against the church.

"That would be good for the money but morally corrupt it'd ruin your reputation and no one would donate," Mr Lacey said.

I look around and think for a few more seconds and go with my original thought.

"I'd sell flowers. It's something most people aren't doing there. They're easy to grow and export is not too expensive. Plus, who doesn't like giving and getting flowers? I'd even make special bouquets per person and have different arrangements for different holidays. Maybe have a pick your own flowers in a greenhouse," I say shrugging.

"That's the best answer out of these few, what of the seasons when there are no flowers that grow," Mr Lacey said.

"I'd keep a greenhouse in the back of the store, plus the seasons don't fluctuate too bad here in fall so it should be okay. Plus, the seasonal flowers could be marked up depending on their value," I say shrugging.

"Good answer, as expected of the crown prince," Mr Lacey said. The other three nodded and clapped. I mentally groaned.

"Now what would you do for a town with the opposite problem?"

"I'd still sell flowers even the rich love flowers," I say shrugging.

"So, you'd open a flower chain?" Samson asked rolling his eyes.

"Yes, I'd sell the more exclusive flowers in the richer cities and increase the prices for them but otherwise keep the idea the same. I might even sell things like flowers inside of things. Like inside lip balms where the flower is preserved. or a ball with someone's favourite flower floating in the middle," I say shrugging.