Chapter Six: Eliana

Slowly he got down on one knee. "Eliana Fairbain, from the moment I met you, I loved you. I loved your unique black hair that looked purple in the light. I loved the way you treated me as a normal man, not a future king, and I loved the way you scolded me for acting up. You showed me love I thought I didn't deserve. When they pulled me away from the school for my private lessons I was told to stay away from you to protect you. You were my weakness and many knew that. But loving you isn't a weakness, it's my source of strength. I was coming to meet you when I found you a week ago. I was going to give you this ring and ask you to become my wife and my queen. The regret you sensed in me wasn't over being with you now, it was due to the fact that I hadn't been before. Without you, I am only half a person, you make me whole. So please, will you marry me and make me the happiest man on earth?"

I slowly sank to the ground, my heart beating out of my chest. I could hear it pulsing my ears and feel it in my fingers despite the cold.

"You want me to-" I started but he interrupted.

"Be my wife, please. Stay with me," he spoke, unshed tears formed in his eyes and I froze, unsure of how to respond.

"I-" I started but he interrupted.

"You are beautiful and kind. You are strong and have the will and the power to protect our people. I need you by my side. I won't lock you up in the throne room and make you stay on display like other queens. You will still be you, but with more resources and power at your side, including my love. I promise I won't leave you, and I will do everything in my power to protect you. Please be my wife," he begged.

"Oh will you shut up already?" I laughed leaping painfully into his arms and wrapping my own around his neck. He dropped the ring but I didn't care at the moment. I placed my lips against his, and we shared the most electrifying surge of warmth I had ever felt in my life. It was as if I was coming back to life again, and it was all because of him.

He pulled me against him and we fell backward into the snow. he bolted up and searched for the ring frantically. He picked it up and brushed the snow from the ring. I looked down at it, as I looked closer at the ring It looked familiar. As I finally recognized the ring I was filled with shock.

"That's my mother's ring, how did you?" I spoke but it was his turn to interrupt me.

"Eliana Fairbain, will you do the honor of becoming my bride?" He asked.

"The people are going to want a queen who wears fancy gowns all the time, and entertains them, they want a symbol," I replied without getting up from the snow.

"What better symbol than the woman who sacrifices herself fighting for her people. You may not be the symbol of the frilly queen portrayed by the monarchy, but you are a symbol of hope and that is more important," he spoke.

"The council-" I started but he interrupted.

"The council agrees," Ivan spoke. "In fact, they are in eager support of it. I explained to them that you wouldn't be a normal queen, one step below their king, but that you'd have a seat within the council as well. You would be my equal as man and wife should be."

I slowly reached out to him as if I was looking for his help to get up. Instead I laughed and pulled him to the ground. He landed on top of me, his face inches from mine. "I'll marry you on two conditions," I smiled.

"Anything," he spoke surely.

"One, I get to chose my gowns for the formal events where armor isn't appropriate," I smiled.

"Of course my queen," he chuckled. "And the other?"

"Right now, kiss me as a man kisses his love, not as a king kisses his queen before his people. I know many of our shows of affection will be for them, especially after they saw us fight in the courtyard. I want this moment for us," I spoke.

He carefully pulled me to my feet. He backed me against a tree, earning a stifled grunt as my bruises came into contract with the trunk. His green eyes turned dark, yet oddly warm as he approached me. He lifted me up to his height by my waist and I wrapped my legs around him as he looked down at me, breathing heavily.

With that same hunger, he pressed his lips to mine. This kiss was unlike any other we shared, our barriers were knocking down as we came together. It was raw and carnal. It was as if every desire we had was bare for eachother. I moaned against his lips as the loneliness I'd felt over the years slowly started to heal.

"Ivan," I mumbled against his lips, running my fingers through his dark hair.

"Elle," he growled hungrily. I froze. Elle, that was new. Ellie was the nickname if a small girl but Elle was strong, and mature sounding.

I could feel him growing hard between my legs, rubbing against me as we kissed, but I didn't care. He pulled back with a smile. "Say it, say you'll be my wife, that you'll be mine and I'll be yours," he spoke painfully, pressing his forehead against mine as he released his hand from under my left thigh.

"I'll marry you, Ivan," I smiled as he slipped the ring on my finger.