Chapter Twenty: Eliana

"Are you alright?" I asked worriedly, resting my hand on Ivan's forearm.

"Yes sorry," Ivan replied coming out of a daze, smiling sadly. "I was just thinking of the first true conversation I ever had with Eric."

"What was it about?" I asked casually, raising a cracker to her mouth.

"You," he smirked.

She froze, the sudden cessation of movement causing the cracker to miss her mouth and collide with her cheek. She giggled, embarrassed and quickly grabbed a napkin to wipe her cheek.

"He helped me realize the gravity of my words. He even gave me the advice that led to us finally being together," Ivan smiled sadly. "Without him, I do not know if we would have found our way."

I smiled sadly. "Eric was a great man. I still visit his wife and child, she is nearly two now. He would have been so proud," I added.

We finished eating in silence. "What now, Ivan?" I asked as the meal came to a close.

"We shall marry in one month's time, that will give time for our allies to join us. After that point, we will begin to mobilize our allied forces against the enemy."

"Until our wedding, I will still go on missions. I will not neglect my duty to our people. After our wedding we will use the intel gained on my missions to inform our troops," I spoke.

"I will continue to gain information through my channels as well, my love. Hopefully we can devise a plan soon."

"Promise me something," I said quietly.

"Yes, love?"

"No matter what happens, promise me you will do whatever it takes to end this. Even if it means we won't come out of this," I spoke softly.

"What do you mean?" he asked concerned.

"Awhile back I had a dream. Any time I've had a dream like this one, one that is so real and so persistent, it has come true."

"In your dream, what happened?" he asked worriedly, crouching in front if me and taking my hand.

"There is a magical dagger that is said to doom a person to eternal sleep. In my vision I was in a room I did not recognize. A voice called out to me. I looked down at myself, I wore a black gown. In moments I plunged the dagger into my chest and collapsed," I whispered. "If this is my fate, making a final sacrifice, I want you to accept it and protect our people."

"I won't let you die now that I have you in my arms again," he spoke pulling me against him.

"Fate is a funny thing. You cannot stop it. You can only change how you react to it. If this is somehow linked to ending the war, you must not fight further," I spoke.

"I will do my best, but I cannot promise what I will or will not do when the moment comes, my love. I will do my best to honor your wishes."