Chapter Fourteen: Eliana

In the world created by Ivan's ability I felt tense. I could see my past self, but to her I was invisible. Ivan appeared beside me as we focused on the memory.

Everything began to move and come to life.  In the memory I was young, making my way to Ivan, I needed to see him and speak to him. I didn't expect him to fawn over me or confess his undying love, I just didnt want to be alone. Not today.

It had been three days since he had left the academy. I just wanted to know he was alright. Today was my birthday, I didn't really care much, I'd never really celebrated anyway since my parents had passed.

I guess part of me was just hoping to be acknowledged and remembered by someone. I hope he remembered. I got to the palace gates and nodded to the guards that had seen me come and go many time times before.

I could see Ivan sitting in the courtyard, pouring over documents. "Ivan!" I smiled stepping closer to him. "How are you?"

"What are you doing here?" he growled in frustration. I could hear the present Ivan gasp in suprise. Clearly he didn't remember this day the way I did.

I froze in my tracks, lowering my hand that was reaching to him. "I know you aren't in the academy anymore, but I just thought-"

"You thought what, Ellie?" he snapped back without looking up at me. I felt a stab of pain to my heart and even my present self had to look away to stop from feeling the hurt.

"I thought we were still friends. I knew you must be studying hard and struggling, so I thought you'd like some snacks," I spoke softly, lowering the small basket to the ground.

"Ellie, I have tons of extra things to do now. Things to study. I have to become king one day. I'm being forced to become someone important. You should be glad you're not. Your family isn't here to put any expectations on you," he spoke without looking up at me.

Did he just tell me I was lucky to be alone in this world? Did he just insinuate I wasn't going to be anyone important? I felt my heart shatter in my chest. I didn't care about my stupid birthday anymore, I didn't care about making him smile, I just needed to be gone.

"Good bye Ivan," I spoke turning to leave. I needed to get far away from him.

"Ellie wait," he spoke as if realizing the meaning of his harsh words.

I was already running, out of the palace gates. I bumped into a guard on my way, upon seeing my face on the verge of tears he tried to get my attention, but I continued to run.

As I ran further and further into the village, the closer to my home I got. I wove in and out of shop stalls and people. I just needed to get home before I broke down.

As I approached my little side street, I could hear someone crying, screaming, and begging for help. Everyone was looking the other way out of fear, ignoring it.

I ran toward the woman and the man that was gripping her by her neck. "Where are the little runts, the dark lord doesn't like to be kept waiting!" he spoke. 

He must be one of the men working for the man that has been taking the children. Once he has them, he trains them to fight and turns them against their own people. I wouldn't stand for it, I couldn't stand by and let this keep happening.

I channeled all my fury and hurt over being humiliated by Ivan. I picked up a large rock and chucked it at the back of the man's head. It hit him hard and he released the woman, grabbing his head in pain. He withdrew his blade and launched at me.

I expertly dodged each one of his attacks. I'm not sure why I fought so hard. My heart ached from Ivan's words. He was right, I was alone. The man punched me a couple of times in my stomach and chest, I was sure my ribs were bruised. I used the additional pain to push forward. I spun and landed a kick in the center of the man's chest sending him backward. His blade clattered to the ground.

I picked it up and pounced on top of him, pinning him down. I looked up to see Ivan running toward us. I really didn't want to speak to him right now. I punched the man, hard so he would pass out. I tossed the blade at Ivan hilt first so he would catch it.

"He's all yours now," I growled at him.

"Ellie, are you hurt? I'm so-" he started but I interrupted.

"You were right Your Highness. I am alone. You don't get to act concerned now, and you definitely don't get to call me that anymore," I spat back, filled with bitterness as I stood and painfully made my way into my home, desperately trying not to look weak. I locked the door and pressed my back against it. I painfully slid to the ground.

"She saved me," I could hear the woman I'd defended. "Such a sweet girl, it's a shame her parents couldn't be here today."

"They would be proud," Ivan spoke.

"They would. She comes of age today, a girl should have her mother on a day like today." The silent tears I had been holding back spilled from my eyes. As I shook, my ribs made it painfully aware how much I was hurting.

There was a knock at my door, but I ignored it. Eventually the knocking stopped and I fell asleep on the floor.