Chapter Twenty Seven: Ivan

We entered the throneroom and walked down the aisle. All eyes were on us as we approached the archbishop of the church.

We kneeled once we reached the thrones, bowing before him. We completed our vows to our people and to eachother to serve our country wholeheartedly and to protect our people no matter the cost.

The archbishop motioned us to stand as he swore us in. He and the bishop placed our crowns on our hands and handed us each a scepter.

"We promise to protect our people, our land, and eachother. We will care for those who need help and offer our support for those who don't. We will honor the traditions of our people and lead as righteous leaders, representing the church and our kingdom. We will lead by the values bestowed upon us by our predecessors and tradition. We will serve you, as you serve us, to provide a safe haven for all who seek it," we recited together.

"I witness these vows made before our people and before God. They shall be fulfilled in honor of our people," the archbishop pronounced.

"With much pleasure we present to you your new King and Queen, your royal majesties, King Thorin, the first of his name, and Queen Eliana, the first of her name.

Everyone cheered as we stood before our people. I looked at Eliana, and the color drained from her face. "I love you," she mouthed as all the lights in the throne room went out.

A dark purple light appeared by the doors as an ominous chuckle spread through the room. "Now what do we have here?" The orb of light moved and a dark figure appeared from the shadows. "A new King and Queen have assumed the throne, and I didn't even get an invitation!"

Eliana leapt forward. "I know why you are here!" she boomed.

"I should only expect so much from our new queen," he laughed. "Tell me queenie, what will you do about it?" He mocked.

"Do not speak to my wife that way!" I called out, leaping to action, but Eliana stopped me from moving forward. The dark glowing light was still the only thing illuminating the room.

"State your terms!" Eliana called out in her most authoritative and regal voice.

"Come with me, fulfill my conditions, and no more children will be taken from your kingdom. You will stay with me for one year's time, if by then you do not deliver me an heir, you and your people will be free indefinitely. I will never take another child from this place or any other. However, if you give me an heir, you must raise it as your own at my side. If you do not come with me, your people will suffer a loss unlike any other you have ever known. If you kill yourself, you will be in direct violation of our deal and your people will suffer," the man spoke.

"She will do no such thing, there has to be another way," I called out.

"What will happen if you fail to keep your end of the bargain?" Eliana yelled, ignoring me.

"I will perish," he spoke. "We will make a blood vow to ensure our agreement will be upheld."

"I will submit to your demands as long as your vow stated that you cannot harm any creature, human or child, not just the children," Eliana demanded.

The room erupted in anger, our people fighting against the decision Eliana was making on their behalf. "As you wish," the dark lord spoke.

"Eliana!" yelled out Ivan.

"Remember your vow to our people, and especially remember your vow to me. Know that I can do this, have faith in me," she called out to me.

I froze in my tracks. The candles reilluminated, this time with dark purple flames. The dark lord's soldiers pulled me aside as he walked up the steps to Eliana. "You will all bear witness to the blood vow," the dark lord called out.

He sliced open his hand, "I vow to take you Eliana for one year. During that time, you must attempt to produce me an heir. Should we fail you will be released. From the time of our vow, all living beings in this realm will be safe from my violence and any negative action from me or my people. You cannot intentionally end your life, if you do, my end of the vow will be rescinded. If I breach our vow, I shall perish," he boomed.

"I solemnly vow," Eliana spoke as a magical barrier enclosed them to avoid interference. She sliced her hand open, allowing blood to trickle from it. "To uphold this agreement for the sake of my people."

His hand met hers, and the blood mixed together. A wave of magic spread through the room, turning the flames at the peaks of the candles back to normal.

"This was a brilliant plan," Eliana smirked. "But not brilliant enough my lord."

"What do you-" he asked as she removed the dagger and plunged it into her chest.

She crumpled to the floor instantly. It took a minute of screaming until I realized the screams were coming from me. I broke free from the guards and rushed to her as our people fought against the barriers that held them in place.

The dark lord enraged, lifted his blade and slashed toward me. I lifted up my hand to block it, and as I did, he sliced my hand open. Instantly he burst into flames.

"This is impossible!" He screeched. "That bitch!"

He lunged toward Eliana, still enveloped in flames as I raised my sword and drove it into his chest. He collapsed in a pile of ash, my sword landing onto of the pile.

I pulled the dagger from Eliana's chest as the dark lord's conjured soldiers and barriers dissipated. "She's still alive!" I called out as our people rushed to us.

I scooped her up into my arms and placed the dagger back in its sheath. "Eliana, hang on my love. Hang on."

I rushed to the infirmary,  my crown toppled from my head, but I didn't dare to care.

All that mattered was my wife, her stupidly brilliant plan to kill the immortal dark lord, and saving her from her own sacrifice.