Chapter Thirteen: Ivan

"Would you like something to eat?" I asked her. She looked a bit tired and pale and I remembered she was still recovering.

"Yes please," she replied as we walked back toward our suite. She had no idea, but this is where she would soon reside as well. We walked down the hall and up a small flight of stairs to the fourth floor.

I had spent hours and hours making this floor the perfect home for Eliana and myself. I had always hoped that she would return to me. We opened the main door and entered a luxurious foyer with portraits lining the walls.

We walked through it and up three steps into a living room lined with book cases. She looked as if she was in awe. "Please, sit," I smiled.

She sat down on the couch as I disappeared into the small kitchenette. I opened our enchanted icebox and removed some fruit, cheese, and meat. I gathered them on a tray with some biscuits and a few small sweets. I poured two glasses of water, placed them on the tray, and returned to the living room.

She was leaning back against the couch, her eyes closed. "I can feel you staring at me," she spoke.

"How can you do that?" I laughed in shock.

"It was a skill I had to perfect over the years," she chuckled as I set the tray down. "It's saved my life more than once."

She reached out to grab one of the glasses and took a sip. "You'll make an amazing mother one day," I smiled at her. In shock she choked a bit on her drink.

"Don't just say things like that while I am drinking," she scolded.

"Don't you still want children?" I asked her. I recalled a time when we were young that she mentioned wanting at least six.

"Of course I do, after the war is done. I cannot bring children into this world until then, knowing that they would be  targets," she spoke sadly.

She gathered a biscuit and placed some of the meat and cheese on it and raised it to her lips. I watched her mouth as she took a delicate bite. "I would like to try something with you if you'd let me," I whispered. "It's alright to say no."

"What is it?" She asked, setting her biscuit down on a napkin.

"Since my abilities have grown, I have the ability to look into other people's memories of fixed points in time. You were correct in saying that I had no idea what you've been through these last few years. If you'll allow me, I'd like to see for myself, and try to understand your past," I explained quietly.

"How does it work?"

"You would have to focus on a thought or memory while blocking out everything else. Then I'd place my hands on your temples and focus my ability to channel those memories."

"You won't like most of what you see," she spoke softly. "There have been some pretty dark times in my life."

"I cannot truly understand you until I know the things that made you who you are today," I replied.

"Alright, let's start at the beginning. You were here for this one," she leaned forward as I sat beside her.

"Close your eyes and focus on the memory. You will be able to see me, and I will be able to see you in your mind, but the people within the memory will not be able to see or hear us," I replied.

She closed her eyes and I could see her slightly pained reaction, as I pressed my hands to her temples and closed my eyes. I focused my energy and entered her memory.