4

Hyunjin's POV

I'm deaf.

Isn't it obvious? She should realize it by now but I guess she is too slow to realize that I am deaf. I have been avoiding our classmates in order not to receive any questions or conversation.

How come I was left with this talkative student?

I got hit by a car 2 years ago that made me go deaf and that was the hatest part of my life. I tried so hard to work and save money to enter this fucking school since I want to major in Music. But I guess I'll have to choose arts even though I don't want to.

This morning, this student. Until now, I am with this student. I have been avoiding people but she keep putting me where a lot of people are.

What's weird is that...

For 2 years that I am living as deaf, I have never learned how to read people's lip as I expect not to understand them. They open their mouth and I am having a hard time reading it. I never told anyone I am deaf because I don't want them to pity me nor look down on me.

As I saw this girl earlier, I was able to read her lips and understand what she was saying earlier. I just can't follow her if she is speaking too fast.

She tapped me again that made me look at her "I am Kim Areum"

"Hwang Hyunjin"

"If you have any concern or question, you can ask me" she smiled at me

I nodded.

She said something too fast then she hurriedly ran. I was about to turn around, she looked back and waved her hand at me.

I just looked away.

I wanted to be friends with all of them but how can I? I don't want anyone to know about me being a deaf. How can I communicate with them? How am I able to hear them?

I started walking to the other direction and stopped when I saw the basketball court of the campus. There are students who are playing. I wanted to join but I am too afraid that they will lose because of me.

I left and looked for the cafeteria. I just bought my lunch and went to look for a seat far from crowd- Areum waved her hand and signaled me to come over. Why does it have to be there? She is sitting with four other people with them. She keep waving at me and telling me to come over.

Just say hi then leave... Right.

I went to their table "Why?"

Stupid. I said say hi not why. Areum is your first friend. Be nice.

"You should sit with us" Areum said and tapped on the available seat beside her

I looked at the people who are eating with her, Song Eunji of Class 2-A, Kim Seungmin of Class 1-A, Han Jisung of Class 1-A, and Bang Chan of Class 1-A. I am glad they have their name tags.

"This is my brother Kim Seungmin" Areum introduced

"I know"

She looks confused.

"I read his name"

She realized it now and she nodded like a puppy who gladly realized something obvious. She smiled at me then tapped on the seat beside her.

"I have to do something. So, I prefer eating alone"

All of a sudden, someone sat on the chair that Areum is telling me to sit down. He is wearing a white shirt, jersey short, a rubber shoes and his hair is messy while he have a towel on his left shoulder.

He smiled at me.

Areum flicked his forehead and said something but he just laughed it out.

I see. He is part of the basketball team.

I left the cafeteria without saying goodbye to them. I sat on the bench under the tree where no one is. There is also a table, I guess I can study here from now on.

That's cool. To be part of the basketball team and be looked up by people around because you represent the University you are in. Imagine how cool that is. My Grandmother would be so proud of me.

Speaking of my Grandmother, I wonder if she is home by now?

To: Grandmother
Are you home? I am having lunch.

From: Grandmother
Yes. Eat well. Make some friends there, okay? Don't fight with them.

To: Grandmother
I am trying.

From: Grandmother
That's good. See you later.

I wanted to give up on looking for other ways to treat me. I am so tired of looking for hospitals who accepts a little amount of money. Just our everyday expense is so hard. I can't affor going to a hospital and pay a big amount. So, I lied about it and told Grandmother that the doctors told me I am hopeless.

But Grandmother doesn't want to give up, she wanted to try and try until we make it. She is working when I told her not to. She is old and she is supposed to rest, but she insisted on working.

I don't want to hear anything but Grandmother's voice. Just one hi from her I feel like I am going to be strengthened. That's impossible to happen. I have been like this for 2-

Someone sat in front of me with her food.

"What are you doing here?"

"Friends should eat together, right?"  Areum smiled at me