Ten: New Teammate

Today is going to be a scary day; I'm going to watch Liverpool Football Club train for the first time. My older cousin, Jordan, plays for the club and is their captain. I don't know a lot about football, but of course I watch Liverpool games to support my cousin.

I've been staying with him for the past few days because my parents have been going through a huge rough patch lately and need to take some time to try and work things out. I've been feeling pretty down about it since I started staying at Jordan's so he suggested bringing me to training with him would help take my mind off things. Jordan's more like an Uncle than a cousin to me. He takes really good care of me and is very protective.

"Right then, are you ready to go?" Jordan asked me.

I only nodded in response, giving him a small smile.

"Are you okay, you don't seem like yourself?" Jordan questioned.

"I'm just nervous." I shrugged.

"Don't be nervous darling, I've already told everyone you're coming and I've told them to be nice...and they have to listen to me coz I'm captain." Jordan joked.

I laughed a little as Jordan gave my shoulder a squeeze. I followed him out to the car, sitting down in the passenger seat before Jordan began the drive down to training. He was the first to arrive, and sent me to the seating area whilst he headed out to begin warming up. I noticed the Liverpool manager, Jürgen Klopp, approach him and start a conversation, and before long other players were beginning to arrive.

I noticed a young lad among some of the first to arrive. He had to have been my age or younger. He was biting his lip and playing with his hands as he approached the manager. Jürgen Klopp spoke to him for a bit, before sending him over to Jordan. I assumed Jordan had never met this boy before, or hadn't seen him for a long time, as the pair greeted each other with a handshake before Jordan started pointing around the area as if showing the boy around. Jordan spoke to the lad for a bit longer and he seemed to loosen up a bit. Jordan's very good at making people feel at ease. I noticed Jordan excuse himself for a second before heading in my direction.

"Everything okay?" I frowned.

"Yeah, I think I left my bottle in my bag." Jordan explained, beginning to rifle through his bag that I was looking after.

"What's going on with the guy you were talking to?" I asked nosily.

"Oh, he just moved up to the first team." Jordan explained.

"How old is he? He looks so young." I asked.

"He's just turned eighteen, so he's your age actually." Jordan answered.

"Wow. He must be so talented." I said.

"He is, I've seen him play before." Jordan told me. "He's played for the first team in pre-season friendlies before but the plan is for him to make his debut in the EFL this weekend."

"Wow, he must be so nervous. Or excited." I observed.

"He's really excited and a little bit nervous. He's a humble young lad, bless him." Jordan explained.

"What position does he play?" I questioned.

"Right back." Jordan answered. "He's got a mean right foot on him. His crossing ability is well above his years, and don't even get me started on his free kicks."

"He looks kinda shy down there, maybe you should get back to him." I suggested, noticing the young lad biting his nails.

"He does, doesn't he? I'll go check he's okay. See you later." Jordan said, before heading back down to the boy, whose name I'd not actually got yet.