Twenty Four: Haunted House Tour

Pre-warning that this one is rather long, and also may be quite creepy to some readers.

"Do we have to do this?" I asked Trent uneasily. It was Halloween, and Trent had booked us in for this Haunted House escape room thing.

"It'll be fun." He told me.

But of course he'd say that; Trent loves horror movies, so this was probably his dream way of spending Halloween. I, however, can't stand horror films. Mainly because I like getting a full night's sleep.

"Fun? It looks terrifying." I scoffed.

"Don't worry, I'll hold your hand." Trent reassured me.

"Well that's alright then!" I said sarcastically.

"Babe." Trent whined. "Please."

"Okay fine, but if I never sleep again I'm blaming you." I gave in. Trent was giving me these adorable puppy eyes and I simply couldn't say no anymore.

"Yes!" Trent cried happily. "I promise, you won't regret this."

"What time do we have to leave?" I asked.

"In about an hour." Trent replied.

So we got ready, and before long we were making our way down to the Haunted House.

"Welcome." A creepy looking man greeted us as we stepped into the entry hall.

"I've got two of us booked in under the name Trent." Trent told the man.

"Ah, yes, there you both are." The man ticked something off on a sheet of paper, presumably our names.

"I'll get you started right away." The man said.

"Isn't there anyone else in our group?" Trent frowned.

"Oh no, it's only you two." Why was the creepy man smirking like that? I already felt uneasy and I'd barely been in the place five minutes.

"Right this way." The creepy man led us through the building to a small room designed as a lounge.

"You'll start in here. You have an hour to make your way through the entire house. Good luck." And with that, the creepy man locked us in.

"He literally just locked us in here." I told Trent.

"Well, that's the point of escape rooms." Trent pointed out.

"Nah, this is giving me the creeps. Let's just get this over with. What have we gotta do?" I questioned.

Trent walked towards the coffee table, which had a small jewellery box on it.

"Probably open this." Trent went to pick up the box however he pulled back straight away, wincing in pain.

"Motherfucker!" He cried.

"What?" I asked, rushing to his side.

"That thing just static shocked me. Badly." Trent explained.

I wanted to try and examine the box myself but I didn't fancy getting static shocked.

"So, we have to try to find the key." I observed, as Trent examined his sore hand.

"Yeah, I guess. But it could literally be anywhere in here." Trent said.

"Maybe you getting shocked is a clue. Maybe we have to go to the light switch, or a plug socket." I suggested.

"Get you." Trent teased, giving me a nudge.

"You might be the smart one, but I can be intelligent sometimes." I smiled.

Trent looked like he was about to protest, but I was already walking towards the light switch. I flicked it, and sent the room into darkness. I turned the lights back on to see nothing had happened. I tried to see if the light switch would pull away from the wall, which it did, and a small key was in a hole in the wall behind it.