Thirty: Retirement

He knew this day had been coming all season, but that didn't make it any easier. We lied in bed facing each other, unspoken words hanging in the air.

"How are you feeling?" I asked my husband.

"Weird...now that it's here, I'm dreading it." He sighed in response.

I pulled Trent into my arms, wrapping him in a warm embrace.

"Mummy? Daddy?"

I turned to see our 5-year-old son Haydon in the doorway, holding his stuffed bear that wore a Liverpool shirt, his favourite teddy that he'd had since the day he was born.

"Morning sweetheart." I smiled. "Are you ready for Daddy's big day?"

"Yeah." Haydon nodded, climbing into mine and Trent's bed. Trent sat up and opened his arms and Haydon crawled into his lap.

"I'll go check on Lillie." I said.

I got out of bed and made my way into our 2-year-old daughter Lillie's bedroom. She was sat up and looked to have just woken up.

"Good morning baby." I cooed.

Lillie stood up and gave me a bright smile, making grabby hands so I knew she wanted to be lifted.

"Mowning mamma." She replied, burying her head in my neck.

"Should we go wake up your brother? It's a big day today." I told my daughter.

"Yeah." She responded.

So I took her into mine and Trent's 10-year-old son Thomas' room.

"Wake up Tommy!" Lillie cried. Tommy groaned and rolled over.

"Come on Tommy, it's your dad's big day today." I reminded him.

"Not til later though." Tommy pointed out.

"I know, but we have to make a card for him." I said.

Tommy himself was a talented footballer and was training with the Liverpool academy. Jordan Henderson, who now worked at the academy, had played a very big part in getting Tommy involved in the team. Tommy wanted to be a right back, just like his father.

"Babe, are you alright to take Haydon? I need to have a quick shower." Trent asked me.

"Of course." I smiled.

"Thank you." Trent said gratefully, before heading into the bathroom.

"Right then, who wants breakfast?" I asked the kids.

They all agreed, so I headed down to the kitchen to prepare some toast with jam. I made Trent a fruit salad ready for when he was done with his shower.

"You're the best." He told me when he came downstairs to find his breakfast.

"I know." I teased.

Soon enough we were all done eating and Trent had to leave.

"I guess this is the last time I'll be seeing you off to one of your games." I realised, as I walked Trent to the front door.

"Yeah." Trent nodded. I leant up to give him a kiss.

"Good luck, for the final time." I told him.

"Thank you." He replied, before heading out the door.

"Right then, should we make a 'well done' card for Daddy?" I asked the kids after I'd finished the washing up from breakfast.

"Why are we saying 'well done' to Daddy?" Haydon asked me as I grabbed the felt tip pens out of the craft drawer.

"Daddy's playing his last game for Liverpool today." I told Haydon.