Twenty One: Secrets

"How was training today?" I asked Trent, as he took a seat next to me on the couch. Liverpool would be playing Chelsea tomorrow at Anfield and today was their last day to prepare.

"Eh." He shrugged.

"Not good?" I frowned.

"Hendo got injured." Trent sighed. "Plus Virg isn't fit enough to come back tomorrow either."

"That's not great. But we've always got Ibou and Joel to play centre back." I pointed out.

"Yeah...but there's also Mo, Sadio and Naby away at AFCON, plus the injury to Thiago. We have enough players since a few just came back from injuries, but it's still not ideal y'know. Plus, Hendo's our captain. Our leader." Trent explained.

"That's true...and he's very good at his job. But don't go worrying about it. No matter what team we field, I know you'll all go out there and smash it." I told Trent. He gave me a smile.

"You're right." He nodded.

"Do you know if you're playing tomorrow or not?" I asked.

"Err...no. No, I um, don't know." Trent answered, scratching the side of his nose. Something he always does when he's lying. But why would he be lying about whether or not he knows he's starting?

"Okay...well, I'll be in the crowd anyway. As always." I told him.

Trent moved closer to me on the couch and wrapped an arm around me, placing a kiss on my cheek. The two of us spent the rest of the evening watching telly before heading to bed, getting an early night to make sure Trent had plenty of rest for the game tomorrow.

~

The next day rolled around, the day of the game. I was awoken by the sound of Trent's alarm rather early.

"Morning. Big day today." I said.

"Yeah." Trent said groggily, rubbing his eyes. He slowly pulled himself out of bed and headed to the bathroom to shower.

"So, have you heard anything from the manager as to whether or not you're starting tomorrow?" I asked Trent when he returned from his shower, a towel wrapped round his waist.

"Nah." Trent responded, scratching the side of his nose. He was lying...again.

"Oh...well, I hope I'll see you play." I smiled.

Trent got changed into his match day clothes, and soon enough he had to get going for the game. I busied myself for a while until it was time to leave for the game. I arrived forty five minutes before kick-off.

"There's the captain's girlfriend." Rachel, Andy Robertson's fiancé, winked.

I frowned, looking over my shoulder and expecting to see Rebecca, Hendo's wife, behind me.

"Huh?" I frowned. "Rebecca's not here."

"No, but you are." Rachel smirked.

"What?" I'm still baffled.

"Oh...you haven't seen the line-up, have you?" Rachel asked. And that was when something clicked.

"No..."

I didn't want to get my hopes up in case I was mistaken by what Rachel was saying. Rachel pulled out her phone and pulled up todays' line up. Alisson, Trent, Konate, Matip, Robbo, Ox, Fab, Curtis, Diogo, Bobby, and Taki. And Trent would be captaining the side.

"Oh my god!" I cried. "That's his dream!" I beamed.

Trent had captained Liverpool once before in a Champions League game, however this would be the first time he'd be leading the side out in the Premier League, and the first time he'd be leading the side out at Anfield.