Twenty Nine: Career Ending Injury

This one is really long, maybe the longest yet

It started like any other normal day. Trent had a game at Anfield against Southampton, so I was going along to support him and the team. I met up with Rebecca and Rachel, Hendo and Robbo's partners, in the lounge where the players' families sit.

"Hey." I greeted them as I sat down.

"Hi." The girls replied.

"Have you seen the line up?" Rachel asked me.

"Yeah, it's nice to see all three of our partners starting." I replied.

"Definitely." Rebecca nodded.

"What's your score predication?" Rachel asked me.

"I think we should win 3-0." I responded.

"I second that." Rebecca agreed.

"We should probably head out to our seats." I suggested, noticing that the game kicked off in only fifteen minutes time.

The three of us headed out to our chairs and soon enough the game was kicking off. As expected, Liverpool were on the front foot. In the 12th minute, Liverpool were awarded a corner. Trent took the corner, and Hendo managed to get a firm head on the ball to score. Anfield erupted with Liverpool fans cheering.

"Get in Hendo!" I cried.

"Look at our boys, scoring and assisting." Rebecca gave me a nudge.

"One of my favourite combinations." I smiled, giving Rebecca a high five. "My other favourite combo is Trent and Robbo."

"I love it when they assist each other." Rachel commented.

"Assist each other? I think you'll find Trent's been the one doing the assisting!" I teased.

"Well, that's true, but I'm sure one day we'll see the reverse." Rachel chuckled.

"We'd better." I replied. "I love how they celebrate together. I also love how Hendo celebrates with Trent – because he sees him as a little brother it's always so cute."

"I agree." Rebecca nodded.

Liverpool scored a second goal in the 29th minute, and this time it was Robbo doing the assisting for Mo Salah. Nothing else notable happened in the first half, and we went in 2-0 up at half time. The girls and I headed back into the lounge for half time seeing as it was rather chilly outside, but the fifteen minute break passed quickly enough and we were going back out for the second half. Liverpool were on the front foot again.

It all happened in the 57th minute. Liverpool were pressing down the right hand side, and Trent was on the ball. A Southampton player challenged him for the ball, in the heat of the moment I didn't notice which one.

But what I did notice was Trent go to ground and not get up again. It didn't even look like he was moving.

"Something's wrong." I said straight away.

"I'm sure he'll be fine, he's probably just winded." Rebecca tried to reassure me.

"No, something's really wrong. Look at Mo."

I pointed over to Mo Salah, who was frantically trying to get whoever was on the ball to kick it out of play and get the attention of the medical staff. The medics were ready to make their way onto the pitch the second Virgil van Dijk kicked the ball out.

"What the fuck's happened?" I muttered, as the medics began examining Trent. Hendo and Robbo were crowding around him.

Trent still hadn't moved from the position he'd fallen – I began to wonder if he was even conscious. I noticed the medical team signal for a stretcher.