Chapter 44: Next Steps

Kiyohime's Underground Fortress (3rd Person Pov)

For the first time since his encounter with Mordred, Aether opened his eyes and glanced to the side to see Rayquaza on her knees staring at him, waiting for him to acknowledge her presence.

Rayquaza: It seems as though you're awake now, master.

Aether: Rayquaza...

As he sat up, Aether felt a surge of energy pass through his body.

Rayquaza: You should relax, don't push yourself too hard.

Rayquaza softly pulled him back into the bed, her hands on his chest, till Aether tossed the covers off.

Aether: It's fine, I can get used to it, so what happened?

Rayquaza: The dimension was blown up thanks to you, I'm unsure whether Artoria and the rest managed to escape but knowing them they really should've made it out of there alive.

Aether: Yeah... it would be pretty disappointing for them to meet their end like that...

Aether stood on his feet stretching as he felt his joints cracking.

Aether: So? Where's everyone else?

Rayquaza pointed to the door and Aether began walking towards it; as he did, Rayquaza turned back and jumped into his shadow just as he opened the door, bringing him to the kitchen where he saw Barghest.

Aether: What's this? Barghest? Are you a chef now?

Barghest lifts her head then shifts around to see Aether walking into the kitchen.

Barghest: You're awake...

Aether: Of course, did you think I was going to be sleeping for the rest of eternity?

Aether sat on a chair and leaned his arm on the table before resting his head on top of it.

Barghest: No, but I wasn't expecting you to come up that quickly; given how much energy you expended, it should generally take a being a few weeks to wake up.

Aether: Really? How long was I out for?

Barghest: Three days.

Aether: Damn, did I really improve that much over these two years.

Barghest: I guess there's only one way to find out.

Aether: Huh?

As he lifted his arms to stop her assault, Aether sees a blade whizz past him and hears a loud clanging noise.

Barghest: What the?

Aether and Barghest looked surprised as they saw Aether's sword: Skyward Blade blocking her own sword with no one holding it's handle.