Chapter 17

Stoick the Vast can’t believe his eyes.  Sitting in the chair before him is his own son, ‘Hiccup Haddock the Third’.  He hadn’t aged a day since the Chief of the Hooligan tribe had last set eyes on the lad.  “Hiccup?”  He questions.  The sound of the gathered Vikings are drowned out by the massive man reaching down and lifting the boy, chair and all, into a bone crushing hug.  “Ya’ve come back!!  My son has come back!!”

“What devilry is this Stoick!  We all know yur’ boy ‘as been a dragon fur’ more than fifteen years!!”  Spitelout shouts over the sound of bones and wood creaking from the force of the Chiefs' joy.

“Aye, but now ‘es back!!”

“Stoick, put tha’ poor boy down…”  A soft voice calls from somewhere behind him.  Chaser rolls his head around trying to get a better look of who is in the room.  From his compressed position he sees Spitelout, and Gobber to one side.  Magnus and Baggybum on the other.  The soft sound of footsteps approach from behind him.  A gentle hand brushes through his hair as Stoick finally sets the creaking chair back upon its legs.  The smiling face of his grandmother Valka kneels in front of him.  “This isn’a Hiccup.”

“Wha’?  ‘course it is, Val.  I’d know tha’ boy anywhere!”

“What color was Hiccup’s hair?”  She asks simply.  “What ‘bout ‘is eyes?”

Stoick sputters for a moment before answering, “Reddish-brown hair…  Like a blend o’ yur’s and mine.’   His eyes were green…”

Valka looks deeply into the youngsters eyes, a flicker of recognition sparks in her stare.  “This lad’s hair is black as pitch, an’ look into those eyes…”

Stoick pauses to take a good long look, “They‘re blue…”  For a moment Chaser thinks his life is on the line as his grandfather becomes enraged.  “A trick?  Who are ya’?”  Valka places a calming hand on Stoick's arm, preventing him from drawing his sword.

Valka continues to stare into his crystal blue depths, “What is yur’ name?” She asks in a way that gives some hope that she has already guessed.

“H…  Hi, Grandma…”  His voice cracks and sounds uncertain, “I’m Chaser.”

Valka’s hand reaches out, gently cupping the child’s face.  He leans into her touch, bringing a gasp from her.  “If…  If ya’ truly are our Chaser.  Where are yur’ sisters?”

Swallowing he looks at both his grandparents, “Jade found a mate and is expecting an egg.”  He says with a satisfied grin.  “Radi will be good for her.  Amber hasn’t found anyone yet.”  The flash of concern is unmistakable on his grandmother’s face.  “But it wasn’t her season.  Probably next year,” which reassures her.

“Hrmmph!!  So…  He’s a dragon.  I say we kill ‘im ‘fore he has a chance to betray us like the others!!”  Spitelout stomps forward, a dangerous looking club held in his hand.

“ENOUGH!!!”  Stoick thunders.  “Spitelout, we will no’ be killin’ an innocent child!  Go ou’ back and bring in the chest with Hiccup’s name on it.”  The two men become locked in a battle of wills, before Spitelout lowers his gaze, then leaves grumbling under his breath.

Chaser looks around, Baggybum quietly wishes the Chief and his family a good night before stepping out and vanishing into the night.  Magnus kneels down in front of months older nephew, “Sheep Ball isna’ goin’ ta be quite the same,” he says before cutting the ropes holding Chaser’s arms to the chair.  “So…  What?”