𝕋he Council of the Gods

It wasn't easy saying goodbye. The thunder and lightning were still boiling over Mount Tamalpais in the north. Artemis was so upset she flickered with silver light.

"I must go to Olympus immediately," Artemis said. "I will not be able to take you, but I will send help." The goddess set her hand on Annabeth's shoulder. "You are brave beyond measure, my girl. You will do what is right."

Percy helped Nicki up, his grip never releasing from her palm. Thalia took Nicki's free hand to lever herself into a standing position, hastily wiping her eyes.

Artemis looked quizzically at Thalia as if she weren't sure what to make of this younger daughter of Zeus. Thalia seemed reluctant to look up, but something made her, and she held the goddess's eyes. Artemis's gaze softened with sympathy.

Nicki swayed slightly, her vision blurring. Her exhaustion was hitting her like a ton of bricks.

Artemis caught her arm and pressed a light kiss to her forehead. She whispered something in Nicki's ear, making the girl smile weakly. "Thanks."

"Be well, Nicki." Artemis nodded at the girl, allowing Thalia to tug her into a steadying embrace. Percy's grip automatically fell, and Nicki couldn't help but feel cold without it. Artemis turned to Percy. "You did well," she said. "For a man."

Percy opened his mouth to protest but shut it quickly when he realised it was the first time she hadn't called him a boy.

She mounted her chariot, which began to glow. They averted their eyes. There was a flash of silver, and the goddess was gone.

"Well," Dr Chase sighed. "She was impressive; though I must say I still prefer Athena."

Annabeth turned toward him. "Dad, I... I'm sorry that—"

"Shh." He hugged her. "Do what you must, my dear. I know this isn't easy for you." His voice was a little shaky, but he gave Annabeth a brave smile.

Nicki heard the whoosh of large wings and flinched. Three pegasi descended through the fog: two white-winged horses and one pure black one.

"Blackjack!" Percy called. "It was rough," He admitted.

Nicki shook her head. "I think I'm hallucinating, but is Perseus talking to the horses?" Thalia giggled, resting her head on Nicki.

"Nope, that's real, Ash."

"I was hoping you wouldn't say that."

"Nah," Percy said aloud. "These are my friends. We need to get to Olympus pretty fast." He assured one of the horses that Dr Chase was not travelling to Olympus with them. The professor was staring open-mouthed at the pegasi.

"Fascinating," he said. "Such manoeuvrability! How does the wingspan compensate for the weight of the horse's body, I wonder?" Blackjack cocked his head at the man. "Why, if the British had had these pegasi in the cavalry charges on the Crimea," Dr Chase said, "the charge of the light brigade—"

"Dad!" Annabeth interrupted.

Dr Chase blinked. He looked at his daughter and managed a smile. "I'm sorry, my dear, I know you must go." He gave her one last awkward, well-meaning hug. As she turned to climb aboard one of the pegasi, Dr Chase called, "Annabeth. I know... I know San Francisco is a dangerous place for you. But please remember, you always have a home with us. We will keep you safe."

Annabeth didn't answer, but her eyes were red as she turned away.

Dr Chase started to say more, then apparently thought better of it. He raised his hand in a sad farewell and trudged away across the dark field.