𝟚 mythical pigs is too many

"REEEEET!"

The squeal echoed through upper Manhattan. Demigods and monsters alike froze in terror.

Grover shot Percy and Nicki a panicked look. "Why does that sound like... It can't be!"

Nicki knew what he was thinking. Two years ago they'd gotten a "gift" from Pan—a huge boar that carried the demigods across the Southwest (after it tried to kill them). The boar had a similar squeal, but what they were hearing now seemed higher-pitched, shriller, almost like... if the boar had an angry girlfriend.

"REEEEEET!" A huge pink creature soared over the reservoir—a Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade nightmare blimp with wings.

"A sow!" Annabeth cried. "Take cover!"

The demigods scattered as the winged lady pig swooped down. Her wings were pink like a flamingo's, which matched her skin beautifully, but it was hard to think of her as cute when her hooves slammed into the ground, barely missing one of Annabeth's siblings. The pig stomped around and tore down half an acre of trees, belching a cloud of noxious gas. Then it took off again, circling around for another strike.

"Don't tell me that thing is from Greek mythology," Percy complained.

"Afraid so," Annabeth said. "The Clazmonian Sow. It terrorized Greek towns back in the day."

"Let me guess," Nicki muttered, scrambling behind Annabeth. "Hercules beat it."

"Nope," Annabeth said. "As far as I know, no hero has ever beaten it."

"Perfect," Percy sighed.

The Titan's army was recovering from its shock. Nicki guessed they realized the pig wasn't after them.

The campers only had seconds before they were ready to fight, and our forces were still in a panic. Every time the sow belched, Grover's nature spirits yelped and faded back into their trees.

"That pig has to go." Percy grabbed a grappling hook from one of Annabeth's siblings. "I'll take care of it. You guys hold the rest of the enemy. Push them back!"

"But, Percy," Grover said, "what if we can't?"

Percy saw how tired he was. The magic had really drained him. Nicki was slumped over on the floor, trying to regulate her breathing. Any exposed skin was littered with nicks and bruises. Annabeth didn't look much better from fighting with a bad shoulder wound. Percy didn't know how the Hunters were doing, but the right flank of the enemy army was now between them and the campers.

Percy didn't want to leave his friends in such bad shape, but that sow was the biggest threat. It would destroy everything: buildings, trees, sleeping mortals. It had to be stopped.

"Retreat if you need to," Percy said. "Just slow them down. I'll be back as soon as I can."

Before he could change his mind, Percy swung the grappling hook like a lasso. When the sow came down for its next pass, he threw with all his strength. The hook wrapped around the base of the pig's wing. It squealed in rage and veered off, yanking the rope and Perch into the sky.

If you're heading downtown from Central Park, some advice: take the subway. Flying pigs are faster but way more dangerous.

Nicki let out a shaky breath. She awkwardly clambered to her feet, her singed sling causing some difficulties. Grover caught her arm and steadied her on her feet.

"Who's ready to kick some ass?" Nicki's voice was quieter than normal, but none of the demigods seemed to notice. "I know we've lost people, but right now, it's do or die, and I'm not losing more of you guys."