𝔸nnabeth ruins reunions

"This way!" Rachel yelled.

"Why should we follow you?" Annabeth demanded. "You led us straight into that death trap!"

"It was the way you needed to go," Rachel said. "And so is this. Come on!"

Annabeth didn't look happy about it, but she ran along with the rest of the group. Rachel seemed to know exactly where she was going. She whipped around corners and didn't even hesitate at crossroads.

Once she said, "Duck!" and they all crouched as a huge axe swung over their heads and then kept going as if nothing had happened.

Percy lost track of how many turns they made. His pocket began to burn and he tugged the familiar paper into the air.

- STOP MOVING!

"We have to stop!" Percy shouted. The other three teenagers skidded to a halt next to him.

They were in a room the size of a gymnasium with old marble columns holding up the roof. Percy stood at the doorway, listening for sounds of pursuit, but he heard nothing.

Ethan collapsed on the floor. "You people are crazy." He pulled off his helmet. His face gleamed with sweat.

Annabeth gasped. "I remember you! You were one of the undetermined kids in the Hermes cabin, years ago."

He glared at her. "Yeah, and you're Annabeth. I remember."

"What— what happened to your eye?"

Ethan looked away, and Percy got the feeling that was one subject he would not discuss.

"Why were you trying to join up with the wrong side?" Annabeth tried again.

Ethan sneered. "There's no right side. The gods never cared about us. Why shouldn't I—"

"Sign up with an army that makes you fight to the death for entertainment?" Annabeth said. "Gee, I wonder."

Ethan struggled to his feet. "I'm not going to argue with you. Thanks for the help, but I'm out of here."

"We're going after Daedalus," Percy attempted. "Come with us. Once we get through, you'd be welcome back at camp."

"You really are crazy if you think Daedalus will help you. Besides..." Ethan trailed off, shooting Percy a look. Percy recognised it as the same look Ethan had given him when he was talking about Nicki in the arena.

"He has to," Annabeth said. "We'll make him listen."

Ethan snorted. "Yeah, well. Good luck with that."

Percy grabbed his arm. "You're just going to head off alone into the maze? That's suicide."

He looked at Percy with an easily hidden look. His eye patch was frayed around the edges and the black cloth was faded like he'd been wearing it a long, long time.

The room seemed to swell with darkness. Percy's skin pricked with goosebumps. His hand closed itself over Riptide protectively.

Nicki stumbled out of the gathered shadows. She was in the same clothes as yesterday. Her black dress was topped by her aviator jacket and her hair looked windswept and messy.

"Ethan!" Nicki tore across the room, checking him for injuries.

Ethan tried to force Nicki away. "Oi! Get off, I'm not dying."

"You could've!" 

"But I didn't?"

Nicki slapped his arm harshly. "Why on earth didn't you tell me?"