𝔸nyone fancy a popsicle?

"An interesting question," Boreas conceded as if it had never occurred to him before. "They do not move unless they are obeying my orders. The rest of the time, they are merely frozen. Unless they were to melt, I suppose, which would be very messy."

Khione stepped behind Jason and put her cold fingers on his neck. "My father gives me such lovely presents," she murmured in his ear. "Join our court. Perhaps I'll let your friends go."

Ethan scowled and flicked the goddess' fingers away. "Back off. You aren't freezing any of us."

Khione's face twisted into a vicious scowl, about to freeze the boys, but Nicki angled her body in front of him protectively.

"What?" Zethes broke in. "If Khione gets this one, then I deserve the girls. Khione always gets more presents!"

"Now, children," Boreas said sternly. "Our guests will think you are spoiled! Besides, you moved too fast. We have not even heard the demigod's story yet. Then we will decide what to do with them. Please, Jason Grace, entertain us."

Jason felt his brain shutting down, not even hearing Piper urge him to tell her what was wrong.

He didn't look at the three other demigods for fear he'd completely lose it. He'd gotten them into this, and now they were going die — or worse, they'd be amusements for Boreas's children and end up frozen forever in this throne room, slowly corroding from freezer burn.

Khione purred and stroked his neck again, ignoring Ethan's terrifying glare. Jason didn't plan it, but electricity sparked along his skin. There was a loud pop, and Khione flew backwards, skidding across the floor.

Zethes laughed. "That is good! I'm glad you did that, even though I have to kill you now."

For a moment, Khione was too stunned to react.

Then the air around her began to swirl with a micro-blizzard and Nicki's inky sword was out in a second. "Don't," she warned, stepping in front of the others.

"Stop," Jason ordered, with as much force as he could muster. "You're not going to kill us. And you're not going to keep us. We're on a quest for the queen of the gods herself, so unless you want Hera busting down your doors, you're going to let us go."

He sounded much more confident than he felt, but it got their attention. Khione's blizzard swirled to a stop. Zethes lowered his sword. They both looked uncertainly at their father.

"Hmm," Boreas said. His eyes twinkled, but Jason couldn't tell if it was with anger or amusement. "A son of Zeus, favoured by Hera? This is definitely a first. Tell us your story."

Jason would've botched it right there. He hadn't been expecting to get the chance to talk, and now that he could, his voice abandoned him.

Piper saved him. "Your Majesty." She curtsied again with incredible poise, considering her life was on the line. She told Boreas the whole story, from the Grand Canyon to the prophecy, much better and faster than Jason could have.

"All we ask for is guidance," Piper concluded. "These storm spirits attacked us, and they're working for some evil mistress. If we find them, maybe we can find Hera."

The king stroked the icicles in his beard. Out the windows, night had fallen, and the only light came from the aurora borealis overhead, washing everything in red and blue.

Nicki stood with bated breath, her sword still out, yet it hung lazily in her grasp, ready to be swung at any second. Nicki was peaceful though, the deep red danced across her face as she held her ground in front of the quest members, and it was quite obvious to each of them that should it be needed, Nicki could kick all their asses right now.